The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what river these three fish are native to? im trying to find a name for my biotope but i dont want it to be something that is incorrect.

names i like are acuario de rio ***** and acuario de rio de janeiro. but idk if these fish are all native to either. are they?

the fish are angelfish, oto. affinis, and rummynose tetras

thanks!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
very quickly:
Otocinclus are widely distributed east of the Andes of South America, throughout the lowlands from northern Venezuela to northern Argentina, but is generally absent from the Amazon and the Orinoco lowlands.[3]

From the wiki entry.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
otocinclus.com says they are from the orinoco....

i was mainly wondering about the rummie's but good to know about the otos as well. i just want to have the most acurate thing i can have. but its hard because numerous sites say that otos are absent from the amazon and orinoco but others say they dwell there...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
http://www.ecology.su.se/pdfs/axenrot/fish.pdf

Takes some digging but it gives pretty detailed info on a few specific species. The entire article isn't necessarily relevant to this.

The reality in the end is that "biotopes" are really misnomers, at best. With more than 1 or 2 species it is really almost impossible to make a single tank under several hundred gallons that represents an accurate habitat of all the fish.

·
Registered
433 Posts
http://www.ecology.su.se/pdfs/axenrot/fish.pdf

Takes some digging but it gives pretty detailed info on a few specific species. The entire article isn't necessarily relevant to this.

The reality in the end is that "biotopes" are really misnomers, at best. With more than 1 or 2 species it is really almost impossible to make a single tank under several hundred gallons that represents an accurate habitat of all the fish.
I agree. Biotopes work best with a small number of fish/plant species.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i thought three was a small number haha.

not saying this is true in this instince. but sometimes wiki isnt always reliable.

for AGA there is a biotope category, which is what i'll be entering. so thats why its a biotope. any ideas for names

·
Registered
712 Posts
Number is irrelevant if you pick distinctly different fish - its all about selection!

I don't think you should pick fish and then try to drive a singular bio-type from that. You should pick a bio-type, the fish available in that bio-type and then pick the fish. That way makes much more sense...especially if you're competing. You wanna compete then ya gotta go all out and do it the right way :D

Sounds like you're trying to make it work with fish you already have ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
i thought three was a small number haha.

not saying this is true in this instince. but sometimes wiki isnt always reliable.

for AGA there is a biotope category, which is what i'll be entering. so thats why its a biotope. any ideas for names
That's the one case where you do want to pay close attention to which fish are actually found in the habitat. I'd recommend downgrading to one or two types. I think I told you this in your other post, come to think of it.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah thats what you told me. but i think we were talking about nixing the ancistrus that i planned there. but keeping the otos. i think ill just call this a south american biotope or something broad like that. so i dont have much room for conflict

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.