The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so im getting these plants in a trade and im quite worried that im going to kill them.

i have a 29 that has soil and 4 T5 bulbs of 14 watts each and i will put more if i have to but i plan to setup a 20 long with shultz aqua soil and doing diy co2 if not some excel with it. what is going to be best to grow these plants? fert schedule? im so worried

l. aromatica

M. butterfly.

cabomba furcata,

pogostemp stellatus narrow leaf,

rotala colorata,

maccandra green,

marselia minuta.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Most of these plants are going to require a good supply of co2 especcially the Maccandra Green, m butterfly, and pogostemp stellatus narrow leaf. What are the K rating on the lights you are using? You need to dose NPK and Micros. See the water parameters for the fert shcedule you would be better off with the sticky thread is a very good place to start. These plants would suffer if you did not use co2 and used excel in your tank.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That's a lot of light. Make sure that you fertilize well and have CO2. With that much light DIY CO2 is not gonna cut it unless you have 2 containers and you keep one fresh all the time. Begin with a photo period of 7 hours and be careful when you increase. Until you have enough CO2 and ferts it will be easy to grow algae. A great diffuser for that size tank is Niko's little invention. See this thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html

For ferts, just starting out I'd use the EI method. (I use EI now, becuase it's easy and you don't have to be a chemist.) You can use dry ferts and just measure with a tsp and sprinkle them in. They are cheap and easy to use. That way you know you will have enough ferts in your water column.

Good luck! Your tank will be beautiful! I love all your plant choices! :D

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, in case anyone is interested in the linked DIY diffuser/reactor above, I can definitely tell you it works. My only concern now is that it works perhaps TOO well, it makes my 10g tank look like a tank of club soda...

·
Registered
429 Posts
That's a good thing. When you're using a mist system, you want bubbles flying around as much as possible. Looks ugly sometimes but you can always turn it off for pictures.
The look doesn't bother me, so much as I'm concerned that the co2 concentration is possibly extremely high, and might be dangerous once I'm ready to add fish/inverts...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Use a drop checker with 4 dKH solution, lime green is good, yellow is bad for animals, blue is bad for plants. Add the animals while CO2 is off at night, and the tank has degassed. Then let it increase the next day after they've adjusted to water parameters a bit. If they hover and gasp at the surface, check your CO2 levels and cause surface breakage with the filter or an airstone, until they stop. Water changes can help instantly too, as long as it's not tap water pressurized with CO2, ie tap pH rises after a day if sitting out.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
jaidexl, in some of my tanks I've used yellow very successfully. I do always make sure I have water disturbance at the top to keep the gas exchange up. You really have to watch your fauna.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Yeah, I have too. Have pretty much used the animals over the drop checker, for the most part, but figured I'd be more cautious with my advice. You never really know how much CO2 is in the tank when you're in the yellow.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Appreciate the advice, my apologies to the OP for somewhat unintentional thread jacking. I do intend to use a drop checker to get a general idea what my co2 level is like before introducing any stock to the tank, only issue I'm having is, the only one I think I could feasibly find locally is the red sea one, which I've heard mixed things about. I'm hesitant to drop $30+ on one from GLA, but ordering a cheapo one from ebay seems sketchy and would take weeks to arrive...

EDIT: Heres a picture of the effects of the co2 reactor:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts