The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently overhauled the stocking of my 26 gallon tank and have stopped buying fish locally, just from reputable sources online or even breeders. I am rehoming my pristella tetras to a friend with a larger school so I have room in my tank for a new species! Even though I really liked the pristella's im probably gonna try something new since these are the last fish I'm probably gonna get for a really long time.

So my stocking right now is:

10 rummynose tetra
pair of GBR
some amanos

For the last school I want a tetra that compliments the rummynose really well. I am leaning towards black neon tetra right now because they are great schoolers from what I have seen.

So what tetras do you guys like? Even if they don't compliment rummynose you can just list it anyway if its one of your favorites!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I really like embers, if i didn't already have the red on the rummynose I would seriously consider them. I also like cardinals over neons

+1 on cardinals, but if you want to go real micro, boraras brigante (chili rasboras) are awesome fish

i wouldn't rummynose as they get big, bigger than cardinals even imo

- thefisherman
If I ever did a 10 gallon, it would be boraras brigittae and pygmy cories!

And what do you mean by your second sentence?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no where to raise GBR fry so it doesnt really matter if they get eaten.

I like embers, but I am leaning towards black neons or may even stick with pristella. Who likes these tetras?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Rummynose can get kind of big, but only very late in life. Most will stay 2-3", but I've seen some that were pretty big, like 3-4". Mine have not really grown at all in the months I've had them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I really like ember tetras..but i understand about the red my other favorites are norman lampeyes they add a lot to a tank and are really under rated they are clear and neon blue. waiting for some in the mail now. ember tetras will be next. danio choprai are another good small fish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My fav smaller tetra are green neons - a school of 50 or 60 looks bloody amazing. Mine school nice and tight most of the time and are very active (spend a lot of time schooling up and down the full length of my tank, which looks awesome).

I know some people say they spend all their time hiding, but mine never did, maybe they just need to be in really big groups to feel safe (I've got 60+ in a 50 gal tank). Mine started recognizing me withing a few weeks, and now they come rushing over when they see me, begging for food.

Fun to watch them cruising over the driftwood hunting for baby cherry shrimp too lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.