The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Anyone know what these things are? The one that is like 3 ovals and 1 oval? They swim weirdly thru the water, like in bursts instead of smoothly. My tank just finished cycling and all of a sudden I see these guys. The only thing that was in the tank before it finished cycling was some MTS.
A little hard to tell from the blurry image, but they look like seed shrimp. They are very similar to snails in terms of indicating a healthy, but over-fed tank. They will diminish, like snails, once enough food is supplied so that only the fish consume it. Many types of fish will eat them, which also helps, but some will survive the journey through the fish.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little hard to tell from the blurry image, but they look like seed shrimp. They are very similar to snails in terms of indicating a healthy, but over-fed tank. They will diminish, like snails, once enough food is supplied so that only the fish consume it. Many types of fish will eat them, which also helps, but some will survive the journey through the fish.
Thanks! That led me to find copepods. Which it looks like what might be swimming around. The only food source in the tank would be any plant matter decaying from the emersed to submersed transition. So I guess that must be what they are eating!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Free Fish food!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The water in my shrimp tank has looked a little hazy recently but the parameters are good. At least what I’ve been able to test. I thought the shrimp were kicking up dust with their sand sifting until the light hit the tank just right last night. TONS of barely visible critters all over the glass. Ive been wanting some Boraras and that sealed the deal for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.