The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very good point! I never thought about it. I do fertilize with osmocote capsules. But the balls are much smaller when I put the capsules in. And the balls that I see now are much bigger and if I break them they some sort of liquid inside. Also they must be traveling within the substrate because I only put them in other side of the tank. Mystery ....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
What fish are in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
very good point! I never thought about it. I do fertilize with osmocote capsules. But the balls are much smaller when I put the capsules in. And the balls that I see now are much bigger and if I break them they some sort of liquid inside. Also they must be traveling within the substrate because I only put them in other side of the tank. Mystery ....
Looks like you have critters in the tank that love to move substrate around. Both fish and Malaysian Trumpet Snails. So that would explain their movement from the other side of the tank.

They swell up as they absorb water. The liquid inside them is tank water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the fish, I have tetras, culi loach, coreys and big yoyo loach.
I guess snails and fish would explain the movement of the balls.

they look so annoying :( maybe I should change the root fertilization tabs. But osmocote capsules are so cheap

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
But osmocote capsules are so cheap
If you get yourself some good red clay (the natural stuff) and mix in your own dry fertilizers, you can easily make your own root tabs. Just mix/knead it up well and then make little pea-sized balls. Dry it out and they'll keep for ages. Probably costs about the same as a container of Osmocote and lasts a lot longer.

There's almost nothing that gets left behind with the DIY route because the clay gets used up by plants.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good red clay (the natural stuff)
where do you get good red clay? I live in Hawaii. We do have red dirt but I am not sure it is the same.

Taking about dry ferts, the other day I was testing my water for PO4, there was very little in the maybe 0.25 hard to test for the low doses. So I decided to test my dry Mono Potassium Phosphate
1 pinch of it dissolved in some water, the test registered 0 PO4 in it. Does Mono Potassium Phosphate go bad after about 8 years? I would not think so but it was very strange. Still can't wrap my head around it.

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
where do you get good red clay?
If you have Michael's or a similar-type craft/art/ceramics store (maybe Ben Franklin?), you may be able to get your hands on Mexican red pottery clay. As long as it's all-natural and doesn't have additives, it should work well.

As for your dry ferts issue... I've never had anything like that happen. But it is possible for heat and humidity to impact them in storage. I've had iron go bonkers in the past. I'm sure some of the other fertilizer nerds will be able to chime in. I'm going to move this thread over to the Fertilizers section for you so more of them will see it and you'll get better responses.

Note that you don't need soil to grow great plants. Just check the Tank Journals section if anyone doubts that. The substrate you're using will grow plants just fine. Plants need nutrients, not a specific substrate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
For the fish, I have tetras, culi loach, coreys and big yoyo loach.
I guess snails and fish would explain the movement of the balls.

they look so annoying :( maybe I should change the root fertilization tabs. But osmocote capsules are so cheap
Make it dirted, I struggled for so long growing anything in sand and rocks until I put 2inches of pot mix under it. Who would have thought that plants love soil???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts