The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set up: 12 gal long tank with 6 cherry reds, some mystery snails, mystery plants from local river, a limpet and some detritus worms, heavily planted in deep substrate with dirt/sand.

A few days ago I started seeing this spiky ball on the root of my water lettuce and red root floaters, it kind of look like a ball with white lollipops stuck on the end, I'm both intrigued and grossed out. this is an indoor tank, I can't tell if this is an egg or some type of fungus or algae. Anyone seen this before?

Right now I got the plants in quarantine (photo), but there's some of this ball stuff on my other plants too in the main tank.
Flower Plant Petal Twig Terrestrial plant
Nature Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Branch Wood Twig Plant Grass
Water Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Wood

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! In that case I may keep them around as a clean up crew then, glad go see it's not algae or something

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
Doesn't look like Pond or Bladder Snail eggs to me. Even spent egg sacs look different. Snail egg sacs are gelatinous blobs of goo with defined little specs in them.

Appears more like a common fungus that tends to pop up in freshwater tanks like this and should dissipate quickly. Have you tried touching them with a net, skewer or something similar to see if it falls apart?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I poked at it with a stick and it sticks to the stick, but it's not hard to break the shape. It breaks into many small white dots, in clumps

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
I poked at it with a stick and it sticks to the stick, but it's not hard to break the shape. It breaks into many small white dots, in clumps
Then definitely not eggs.

If it were me, I'd use a piece of hairline tubing or similar and siphon it out of the tank. An old toothbrush could also come in handy for removing that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe they are Vorticella colonies. They can be detrimental to shrimp and other crustaceans.

As far as I know, they are harmless to fish, snails or plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts