The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of these little brown things hanging vertically of the bottom side of most of my plants. I put two guppies in my tank last night and they are picking them off one by one. They are also picking off the millimeter size white worms swimming in the water column. This is a Walstad tank that has been running for about a month and these are the first fish I’ve introduced. I’m curious though what the brown things are.

Plant Flower Nature Leaf Petal

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
316 Posts
Looks like hydra imo. The hydra I had in my tank were more greenish though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like hydra imo. The hydra I had in my tank were more greenish though...
I think you are correct. I found some info that says they can be brown pale white or green. I have seen the green variety too but most are brown and under the leaves. Some articles I found say they can be dangerous to fish and shrimp and others say they are mostly a danger to smaller fry. The guppies are putting a hurting on them now though. That’s the fascinating thing about this hobby and Walstad tanks in particular…the ecosystem and all the critters that come up out of the soil.

I am looking forward though to the water clearing though…I have thousands of little almost microscopic swimming dots swarming all over that is making the water a little hazy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts