Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the plants that iam getting in the mail:
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Hydrotriche hottoniiflora
Nesaea sp red
Barclaya Longifolia

What would be the best and most economical fertilizer to use?

What are your experiences with these plants, have read up on them so I know what to expect, but i want experiences also.

How important is PH to these plants , would they all be good in 7.6 ph if it was steady or would i have to lower to 6.5ph.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Going by what I have read, all but the first one are very difficult to keep happy. Barclaya needs to be kept quite warm - both the water and the substrate. Hydrotriche and Nesea, I believe, need high light and CO2 injection. But do not take my word for it - I have no experience with them. Check out Plant Profiles on this website.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i had red nesea and i had a very difficult time with it.

When first purchased, it was stunning with bright red leaves and a beautiful soft texture to the leaves. I planted them into my flourite/eco complete substrate only to watch the color turn to a brownish orange, stems bending, and tops growing stunted with the internodes looking really bad. It got to the point where i just threw them out.

Since i had such a strong attraction to the plant, i did as much research as i could since i bought the plants on impulse. Turns out, they are one of the most difficult plants to keep from my readings. Everything else in my tank is doing great, even the "difficult" ones like ludwigia senegalensis, nesea pedicellata "golden", diplis diandra, and various different rotala's (wallachii, vietnam, rotundifolia).

Apparently, in addition to a nutrient rich substrate, high light, and regular dosing, there is a certain science i've yet to figure out to keep them healthy. Even the ones at the shop looked horrible after i re-visited a few weeks after purchase. The shop owner was even keeping it in ADA aquasoil.

I wish you luck with this plant since it is very stunning. Here is a link with info on this plant.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...p?id=97&category=aquascape_placement&spec=Red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.