The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't really tell, you might want to try to get a better picture. They are probably scuds, judging by the shape of the white-ish thing in the middle of all your pictures.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Those are scuds judging from the behavior description. Catch them and feed them to your fish. I have a shrimp net I use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut back on the amount of food you put in the tank and they will go away for the most part. They are not harmful.
Okay so i don't know what i'm doing wrong but i'm only throwing one flake a day for my fish and these guys really multiplied fast! there is a really big one that looks like this
andthere are so many of them i don't know what to do. I changed a good chunk of my water and sucked out as many as i could but i think they hide under the gravel :crying:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They hide under the gravel. Cory cats will eat them. I never had luck with traps. What kind of fish do you have?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
One man's junk is another man's treasure. I was excited to see these things in my tank while I was cycling a 10 gallon to house Scarlet Basis. This is what they primarily eat. How big is your tank? is there anything else in the tank other than neons? Do you plan on adding anything else to the tank? If you cut back on food their population will shrink. If you want to be completely rid of them for good though, you will need to put something in there to constantly hunt them down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How big is the tank? You can possibly do a co2 nuke.
5 gallons running one bubble per second of co2

Bump:
One man's junk is another man's treasure. I was excited to see these things in my tank while I was cycling a 10 gallon to house Scarlet Basis. This is what they primarily eat. How big is your tank? is there anything else in the tank other than neons? Do you plan on adding anything else to the tank? If you cut back on food their population will shrink. If you want to be completely rid of them for good though, you will need to put something in there to constantly hunt them down.
Can i just move them to another tank and empty out this tank and they'll die out with no water right?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Do you you have a lot of shrimp or the like? Put all of your fauna in a bucket with an airstone or sponge filter. Once you have the livestock you wantto keep safely housed dump several bottles of sparkling water into your tank. That is pure carbonated water. Anything in that tank that moves aint going to make it. it may fizz for a few hours. Make sure you shut your filter off while you do it (or move it to your buckets and run it) as it wont make it either. When your done vacuum the bodies off the bottom and do a water change.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm with the loach guy, I'd love to see these living in my tanks, beats having MLS or planaria. Given enough hunger I'd bet your Neons would happily go hunting for these morsels.

I have Cyclops and Ostracods in my 85 gallon pond and know the WCMM and Rosy Barbs are eating well on some fine live food.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Neons should be in a tank that is at least 10 gallons. You might want to think about swapping out your neons for a micro-predator like a scarlet badis or maybe a pygmy sunfish anyway. I have heard white cloud mountain minnows rid tanks of these in no time like gramsgrunge suggested.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looks like a copopod from the pic, hard to tell though. Most of these are algae eaters and will die off once the food source dies off.

A glass jar with an inverted funnel inside of it will capture them provided you can get some bait into the jar.

I raised Ceriodaphnia, daphnia, and daphnia magna for living at one time. This is how we would isolate them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If something is not harmful and wants to live in your tank, see it as a welcome part of the bio system.
Within limits. I brought home some aquatic plants one time that had a little Annelid that co-existed with green diatoms. The fish would dig through the diatoms just to eat this little worm, but wouldn't eat the diatoms as well.

Also had a old grow-out/quarantine 10 gallon tank that got neglected for a few months, and discovered it had a little school of freshwater jellyfish living in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.