The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shiver. i just received a pack of beautiful Vallisneria that was wrapped in damp paper towels. the paper towel had live red worms crawling on it. Some tiny, some longer, some bright red, some a pale pink. boatloads in the roots, it gave me the creeps. I rinsed and soaked MANY times, then filled the kitchen sink with water and Levamisole and soaked them for an hour, rinsed again, a lot. Finally put them in a bucket with water for overnight. Kind of afraid to add them to my tank. This is with a ten times magnifying glass, I pulled out of the garbage The original paper towel the plants were wrapped in from 10 AM, it’s 9:17 PM and they’re still alive, yuck. The pix were the best I could get, had to hurry cuz if spouse saw this, all plants would be in the garbage, lol!
Automotive tire Rim Circle Automotive wheel system Auto part

Tableware Product Automotive tire Serveware Rim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks like a bloodworm to me. If it wasn’t likely a bit rotten, I’d say throw it in the tank for your fish. Never seen a fish that wouldn’t go crazy for bloodworms.

Oh , and where did you get your Val?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well supposedly the plants were grown with fish and they didn’t get eaten. I bought them, TONS, for Very cheap, free shipping, on Etsy , tall and lush, I trimmed them a lot cuz the tall part was full of algae and detritus. But after cleaning them up, they are lovely

My Main fish in my big tank are 13 years old. I try not to give them worms,I have though. They have lived this long I don’t want them to get parasites although they have had them and I do treat them at least once a year

·
Registered
90 Posts
Worms, nope, no bueno, start this video at the 10 minute mark
Yeah, that’s not a bloodworm, in the typical freshwater food sense. For starters, that’s a MARINE worm. As they say multiple times in that video.

Completely different from what you have in your Val and what people feed to their freshwater fish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that’s not a bloodworm, in the typical freshwater food sense. For starters, that’s a MARINE worm. As they say multiple times in that video.

Completely different from what you have in your Val and what people feed to their freshwater fish.

yes I KNOW, just a gross video!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, those are probably blood worms. The val was probably grown outdoors.

I keep two tubs of daphnia outside and I get live bloodworms every year. They are great food for fish. I wouldn't worry about them at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, those are probably blood worms. The val was probably grown outdoors.

I keep two tubs of daphnia outside and I get live bloodworms every year. They are great food for fish. I wouldn't worry about them at all.
thank you very much. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts