The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is a real 'newbie' question but i have no clue between the difference between these species. I picked up some blue neocaridina for my 5 gallon tank (hopefully my ember tetra won't try to turn them into dinner) and presume they are easy to keep (gh 7 kh 3 temp 75). However truth be told i know very little about shrimps other than they hate water changes and plant fertlizers. So someone in another thread noted that caridina were much more fragile than neo (new caridina?) and I realize that i was totally clueless between these or any other freshwater species. I always thought of shrimps just being well shrimps...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Ok this is a real 'newbie' question but i have no clue between the difference between these species. I picked up some blue neocaridina for my 5 gallon tank (hopefully my ember tetra won't try to turn them into dinner) and presume they are easy to keep (gh 7 kh 3 temp 75). However truth be told i know very little about shrimps other than they hate water changes and plant fertlizers. So someone in another thread noted that caridina were much more fragile than neo (new caridina?) and I realize that i was totally clueless between these or any other freshwater species. I always thought of shrimps just being well shrimps...
Different species. Like comparing a tetra to a goldfish. They are both fish, but different species of fish with different requirements.

Neocaridina are much easier to keep then caridina. If someone is referring to a cherry shrimp (regardless of the color) they are almost certainly referring to a neocaridina.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
they hate water changes and plant fertlizers
This is honestly dependent on tank... or perhaps, colonies? There are shrimp safe ferts out there that people use... and there are others that are just standard ferts that people use without issues. Some people need to do 10% water changes with slowly dripping new water in, others can do 50% water changes and just flood the tank without issues! Each tank and colony is going to be different.

caridina were much more fragile than neo
Depends on the shrimp.... Amanos are a type of Caridina and they are considered to be rather hardy and can live longer than Neos! Breeding though? Difficult... since offspring require brackish or saltwater conditions in order to grow to adults. Sulawesi shrimp (various species) are another Caridina type(s) and they thrive in Neo parameters or harder! High pH is recommended for them! And then there are tigers.... they can live in either "Caridina" (soft, acidic water) or "Neocaridina" (soft to hard with neutral to high pH) parameters and thrive. Most of the fancy Caridina however (crystals, blue bolts, steels, galaxies, etc) do best in soft, acidic water. Tap water is not recommended for them due to the substrate that's needed.

As for differences? At minimum.... their sexual reproductive organs... and perhaps some other things.

Me, personally? I feel that the Caridina species need to be broken up into more genera. I mean... you have your strictly freshwater species that are high order, then there are some that float between freshwater and saltwater and they're low order.... some that are kind of in-between. And of course how many of these shrimp are from various parts of the world, so hybrids between certain species isn't likely due to differences in preferred parameters, how they breed, or any other number of things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts