The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started using AqAdvisor, and I am wondering if it is good for planted tanks, or if there are better calculators out there...Just let me know your opinion!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have just started using AqAdvisor, and I am wondering if it is good for planted tanks, or if there are better calculators out there...Just let me know your opinion!
Thats pretty much the go to source. It of course is not perfect though and all info has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is a decent way to get a vague idea of where you're at though; then from there you have to let your own personal experience guide you.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I find that type of info to be an aberration of the internet giving almost anybody a place to advertise.
Some basic ideas are totally missed when they try to fit a number into a tank. How you set up a tank can make it totally okay for "X" number of fish or make it totally bad. What filters are used and dozens of other specific items will swing the answer one way or the other and that makes a calculation more of a quess than most want to admit. When in doubt, stock low until you can decide for yourself or get somebody experienced who can actually see your tank and how you operate.
Thirty guppies in a ten gallon tank can work if you do the right things while one guppy in a 55 may die if you do the wrong things. Does a calculator ask how often you clean the filter or change water?
Common sense and low stocking are far better when first starting the trip.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Common sense and low stocking are far better when first starting the trip.
Yup! This is the best advice. Aqadvisor is pretty safe most of the time and I like to use it when deciding what fish to stock in a tank. Like, for example, if I can only house 3 of 'x' fish in my tank but it is suggested to have a school of 6, I don't go with that fish. But if I can fit 30 of a fish and I'm happy with 20 of it in my tank, it is a great match. Aqadvisor is decent for throwing ideas around.

But back to this quote. Start low and see how you can handle the bio load. My last tank required weekly 50% water changes. Then I added a 18"x24" patch of spiral vals and it didn't need water changes at all (based on nitrate readings, I still did water changes for solids and such). Keeping your parameters in check depends on more than bio load alone.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I often see pet shops running only a fraction of my stocking levels, and all their fish look miserable.
Normally because they keep up with water changes, but neglect filters... great way to polute your clean water. with the filter acting like a teabag of crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.