The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon tank with a 48 Watt T-5 lighting set-up. Now, I'm still very confused, I've had people say this is medium light, some say it's high light, and some have even said it's low light:icon_roll. i know it's not low light but can someone please tell me what plants would be good with this lighting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I HAVE to have Co2, or would that just be benificial? If so, would DIY work well, since it's such a small tank, and if not, what's a good co2 system.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
You will need CO2, unless you want to have an algae farm.

DIY could work, but it is more about maintaining a stable, sufficient CO2 level. DIY CO2 usually is not very stable, so this is a disadvantage. 29 gallon is also bordering on the size where DIY CO2 begins to become a major hassle.

In terms of pressurized CO2, you can either purchase a pre-built regulator assembly, or gather the parts yourself and assemble it. The latter is a more "fun" experience, if you like DIY work, and can potentially be cheaper, especially if you are patient and take advantage of sales on eBay and/or the Swap and Shop section of these forums.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
DIY with three generator bottles should work until you can put together a pressurized system. Having tried DIY and purchased a kit, I suggest purchasing a kit the first time. Let someone else have the headaches of piecing together the bits.

Also, DIY will tell you if you really need CO2 for the plants you choose to grow. As to light - yes you have high, medium, and low light - depending on the plant species you choose to grow. You have high light for Java Fern, medium light for a lot of plants and low light for equatorial species.
Everyone who tells you something different is coming from their perspective and their experience or they're passing on what they read. You'll be answering questions like this shortly. It's how we all start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exacly what I though, it's all a matter of perspective. Well, I will look into getting pressurized CO2, does anyone reccomend a system that is cheap, yet reliable? Also, would plants like Riccia, pearlweed, or hairgrass grow well in this set-up. I will have aqua soil as a base, and fertilized black sand on top of that. Would this light be to weak for those plants since they're at the bottom? Sorry....I'm such a newbie :-/...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.