The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to start my first planted tank and i have an empty 90 gallon. so im under the 1 watt per gallon mark but i have an 2 eclipse hoods and it holds 4 flourecent lights but im not positive but it says it can only use bulbs up to 18 watts. So i need plants that will grow in low light i plan on making the diy yeas sugar Co2 stuff and i will be buying root tabs since i have pool filter sand in my tank.

so i need plants that will grow i was thinking java moss and fern but i need more

any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anubias (sp?) is one that comes to mind. Very hardy and slow growing.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Don't bother with CO2. 1) you don't have enough light and 2) a 90gal is too big for DIY to be effective.

You're going to have a very difficult time getting any plants to grow in that lighting. I'd look into trying to retrofit a different lighting kit for the hood (I know it can be done with the smaller Eclipse hoods...)

If you stick with what you've got, Anubias, mosses, and Java ferns are definitely your best bet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't bother with CO2. 1) you don't have enough light and 2) a 90gal is too big for DIY to be effective.

You're going to have a very difficult time getting any plants to grow in that lighting. I'd look into trying to retrofit a different lighting kit for the hood (I know it can be done with the smaller Eclipse hoods...)

If you stick with what you've got, Anubias, mosses, and Java ferns are definitely your best bet.
wouldnt i just be better off just buying a new lighting fixture

i was hoping it wouldnt come to that because im on a low budget

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Retrofitting is cheaper than buying an entire new hood, because you're just buying the reflector and ballasts, not an entire plastic or wood hood.

Since anubias, mosses, and java fern get their nutrients from the water column, they will not benefit from root tabs, so don't bother with those.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well good news i found i lighting fixture that was hanging for the ceiling in my garage so i set it up to hang over my tank to run in combination with my other lights

it had 2 40 watt bulbs in it

so that gives me 152 watts total

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so could i grow like amazon swords because i know they grow pretty big and i was thinking i could have those along the back of the tank :proud:

·
Registered
143 Posts
In my 44 gallon with 34 watts (T8s), I can grow Java fern (both windelov and normal) and moss, Crypts, Anubias, red melon sword, dwarf lily. As floating plants I have grown (very well, too), Cabomba, Rotala rotundifolia, Brazilian Pennywort (hydrocoytle leucocephela).
Low light is not quite as limiting as some would have you believe. I find my favorite species are all within low light parameters. :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have crypts and anubias in my low lit tank, and they really took. The crypts are in fluorite gravel, and the anubias is attached to driftwood.

One thing about crypts though, is that when you move them, they don't like it and they melt :( but they will come back. It can just be a little discouraging at first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts