The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,
Do shrimp look or act differently when they get pretty old, or are they perfectly fine and just flop over one day? In particular I want to know about Taiwan Bees.
I had one in another tank that survived sub-optimal conditions for one year. For the last 1-2 months of its life, it started to look decrepit, antenna got short and stubby, color got splotchy, and got slower and slower. Eventually it ended up on its side and died within a day.
In my other tank with better conditions (but still occasionally problems) I have some shrimp that are getting up near 1.5 years old now. They still look ok and graze around, but sometimes they are prone to just standing around for a few hours and contemplating life.
It's just that usually when shrimp get lethargic, either they are going to molt in a day or two, sick, or something is wrong with the tank. So I want to be able to tell "getting old" apart from some other problems.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've never paid close attention.... I know one for sure lived over a year before kicking the bucket... 2 years, give or take, is the expected max life span of the ornamental shrimp

Except opae ulas.... they have the potential to live 10x longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.