The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a tank set up for little kids? I was cleaning my 30g cube to give it away and then naturally convinced myself that I really ought to set it up for myself I mean my two-year old.

I have good lighting for it and a good filter, but that's it (well, I do have some yucky gravel somewhere). Seems I ought to be able to set up a low-tech planted tank with critters for the kid, right? What types of fish/inverts/etc. do your kids find entertaining?

I was thinking betta maybe, but perhaps some complementary other critters I can't think of offhand. I dunno. Any ideas?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a 10 gallon tank for my 3 year old. RCS always seem to replenish themselves (have like 50+). I have 3 fancy male guppies for some tank movement. Lots and lots of Java Moss for the shrimp to hide in. 28w Coralife CF fixture on top for light and a AC20 with no media for water movement. I change the water about 1 gal every 2-3 weeks. 1 cap of Excel & Tetra plant ferts every week or so. Top offs every couple days w/ tap water & Prime. About as simple as you can get and super low maintenance. Algae grows relatively slowly and I wipe down the glass for algae whenever I do a water change.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kids love bettas...I love bettas! They have that extra bonus of the joy you get releasing a cup fish into a wide open tank.

Why would the histrionica be bad? too big? I had a pack of yoyos before I moved and sent them away and they were certainly the most amusing fish ever, but they probably needed a bigger tank.

Maybe I should attempt to go brackish and get bumblebee gobies? The spouse has always admired them and might be less inclined to complain about the tank being resurrected....hmmmm.

Perhaps I'm trying to appeal to the wrong person!

·
Registered
890 Posts
depending on the environment, the parents should eat the babies if they see them
You trying to teach your kids about cannibalism? lol :)

I would use a bunch of mollies/platys. They are smart fish and definitely interact with you. Put a bunch of different colored ones in there and your son will love em. Take him to the pet store and have him help you pick em out. There are like 2 billion different colors of them at most chain stores. Also have him help you "free" them. Make sure that he knows he cannot stick his hand in the water, and also make sure that he knows that fish food will make him very very sick!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...do mollies got along with bumblebee gobies? Then maybe instead of cannibalism we can learn about predation!

Any slightly brackish arthropods?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I got back into the hobby when my daughter was nearly 2. She's nearly five now....part of the excitement/experience is going to the store with them to pick them out. You can 'start' teaching about good fishkeeping by telling them which ones would be a good match for your tank....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a ten gallon with a betta a large apple snail, and some ember tetras. All of them are a big hit with my kids 14, 12, 7 I think the snail is the biggest draw they really get a kick out of watching him eat off the glass and float from the highest point. He also responds to algae wafers he will come running from anywhere in the tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just my opinion, but I work in a law office. I set up a 5.5g and put a male and female guppy (now have 4), 1 male Betta, and 5 ghost shrimp (down to 3)...yes I know the tank is over crowded...cycling a 55g and will add the guppy next week, and the ghost shrimp a week after that. I also have a crap load of red/orange rams horn snails, and another crap load of brown rams horn snails. If you put just male guppies (prettier anyway) then you don't have to worry about babies, a male or a female Betta, a few shrimp (the kids love the shrimp), and a few snails, then I think your child would love it. The kids (including the ones over 40), love to look at the tank. The Betta gives them something to look at...the guppy provide movement, the shrimp are different, and the snails help keep the tank clean...I get comments on the color of the red/orange snails.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have neon tetras in with a nice purplish male betta in my 20 gal. The kids all love it! The kids' ages range from 15mo. to 7 yrs. I also have some cherry shrimp, a rubbernose/bulldog pleco, and a few ghost shrimp in there too. We go on nature walks when it's nice outside to pick out rocks and/or driftwood for the tank, so when I rearrange it, the kids get to see their own additions. Makes it interactive for them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I took the kid to the big box pet store (it's close) to let her pick out fish. But it looks like I'm the fish fan. She humored me and let me look at the fish and waited patiently while the clerks tore up several tanks looking for the frog they thought they had (they didn't), but she didn't understand, or wasn't all that interested. It's true that they didn't have anything as bright or interesting as our large goldfish and maybe the little critters, no matter how colorful, just can't compare. So, with the amazing selection (ha) I picked up a pair of bettas and some tiny tiny snack-sized ghost shrimp. After we cycle, perhaps we can see if she's interested in others. (After looking at them seriously for the first time, I kinda want the neons. Never had a tank without neoneaters before!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.