The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks like Cabomba caroliniana. It should be available almost everywhere that sells aquatic plants unless it's banned in your state due to its highly invasive nature.

It also sucks up nutrients from the water column like crazy and is good for controlling algae outbreaks.

An extremely fast growing plant, but kind of ugly if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
That's definitely not Cabomba carolinia. Look up some pictures on google and you'll see what I mean. I have no idea as to what it actually is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Like the poster above me said... it looks like Hornwort that hasn't received a good amount of light. I used to have a ton of it and that's what it looks like when not getting good direct lighting. The stems elongate under those conditions. Yes, Hornwort, I mistakenly called it cabomba in my first response.

It is definitely Hornwort.

As I said before in my first post, it is considered invasive, and some states may not allow it to be sold, but if your state allows its sale, pretty much anywhere that sells plants should have it. It's pretty common.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

its very rough compare to the hornwort I have and small. No root system. So it must be a different kind.

Started as the small tip and grew to this in 2 months. Low tech tank. I wish I remember who I got this from! It came with shrimp and just the tip size plus some sponge strips.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if it smells like garlic, its charra. if not, hornwort. looks like hornwort to me.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Another vote for hornwort. The majority of it is planted upside down, not that it really makes a huge difference with this plant. It soon changes direction to adapt by forming an inline branch, as seen on the top of the highest segment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.