Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am having some trouble growing certain plants in my tank. One of these is
- Dwarf Hairgrass.

This is my setup:

- 75 gallon
- Finnex ray 2 planted
- Co2 injected - around 30-35ppm
- EI dosing (I do a little over the recommended due to 2 water changes a week).
- Temp 81
- Flourite Substrate

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I am having some trouble growing certain plants in my tank. One of these is
- Dwarf Hairgrass.

This is my setup:

- 75 gallon
- Finnex ray 2 planted
- Co2 injected - around 30-35ppm
- EI dosing (I do a little over the recommended due to 2 water changes a week).
- Temp 81
- Flourite Substrate

Any help is greatly appreciated
Hi dandaman,

Usually when I have issues with BBA it is the result of my failure to remove excess detritus from the tank or my filter needs cleaning (which also lowers the flow). I have given some thought to excess iron also causing me issues but cannot come up with a direct correlation. When an outbreak occurs I dose Seachem Excel / glutaraldehyde at 2X the recommended daily level (regular initial after water changes) and if necessary "paint" the more dense areas with Excel in an oral syringe. When the BBA turns red it is dying; a Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus oblongus) may not eat healthy BBA but mine will eat dying or dead BBA.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi dandaman,

A 75 gallon is typically a little of 21" tall. Allowing 3" for substrate you are 18"+ from the Fugeray2. The 48" model of the Fugeray2 provides about PAR=63 at an 18" depth which should be sufficient for dwarf hairgrass. Has your water been tested; what are the parameters? BTW, welcome to TPT!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I notice you have a lily. I've found those things are nutrient sponges. It can be hard to make sure other plants get enough ferts with one of those in the tank.

It might help to add some root tabs, and maybe increase your EI dosing even more. (Have you measured nitrates?)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have enough light that you also have to use a significant amount of CO2. I'm guessing that you are using the pH/KH tables when you say you have 30-35 ppm of CO2. Those tables are not at all accurate for typical aquarium water, usually way over estimating how much CO2 you have. I suggest you increase the CO2 bubble rate a little bit every few days, observing the fish to be sure they aren't stressed by excessive CO2, and watching the plants to see if their growth improves each time you increase the bubble rate. When the improvement in the plants stops occurring with more CO2, you have reached the optimum amount of CO2 for your tank setup and your plants.

BBA will almost always start growing if you don't have enough CO2 for the amount of light you are using, or if you allow the CO2 concentration to drop lower during the photoperiod than what it usually is, which triggers BBA to grow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.