The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two very successful aquariums in my home for quite a few years now. I have one 110 gallon aquarium which is a South American Blackwater biotope; and a 28 gallon Southeast Asian Blackwater tank. My large tank is fine, but for some reason I can't figure out, is why I can't keep Botias alive in my 28 gallon tank. I just recently tried AGAIN, with a new set of a new group of botias, the Siam Botia; and now less than 24 hours later, 2 of 8 are dead. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing my tank to kill every kind of Botia I try to keep? I've successfully kept Botia striatas before, just not in this tank.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
copper kills scaleless fish...it always has and it always will...
(botia and loach are without scales...)
ever look close at the bottle where it says do no use with scaleless fish?
thats why...

·
Registered
743 Posts
copper kills scaleless fish...it always has and it always will...
(botia and loach are without scales...)
ever look close at the bottle where it says do no use with scaleless fish?
thats why...
didnt know that , learn some new everydays...i never keep scale less fish and never read the bottle either , didnt said that you're wrong .

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Not your bad, F22. He shouldn't be giving advice about products for which he's never read the indications and warnings.

Copper would be my guess too. Ever medicated that tank, or did you buy it used?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
also if you did med the tank, any driftwood and porous rock will still hold onto the copper... if you did med the tank or buy it used, maybe some cuprisorb would help you out...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Not your bad, F22. He shouldn't be giving advice about products for which he's never read the indications and warnings.
OK i am man enought to admit it .! im sorry , i aint no problem with says that.

i used ick medication with copper treating my fish all the time and none of them die, thats why i thought fish is fish and copper will not kill them . i guess i was wrong ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the trouble is, they aren't getting ick. The last round of them that I bought which was a botia striata, (I've also tried Zebra loaches, and yo yo loaches as well), and they all died within hours of being placed in my tank. I always allow a good span of time before trying to again, I even thought maybe there was an oxygen issue, but I have an air pump with a bubble wand to create more air. This tank has been a very healthy community tank since I started it, and I haven't had any trouble. I buy the fish from a great fish store, and have never had trouble with any other fish. And in my larger tank I previously had them, and they were fine. Normally I can trouble shoot any kind of a problem pretty well. And none of the other fish I've added have ever had any trouble. In fact we have 3 kuhli loaches, and they have survived just fine, one for quite some time. It's just whenever I try to add any other kind of botia.... I can't figure it out!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Some of the dechlor products will neutralize copper and other metals. The first things I would look at would be water hardness and what contaminates or decaying food might be in the substrate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sometimes reading the label is a good thing.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat Fish and Tap Water Conditioner
Other Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Products
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat fish and tap water conditioner instantly removes chlorine and chloramines, making tap water safe for fish. Neutralizes heavy metals. Also, replaces the natural slime coating fish need in times of stress, such as handling, shipping or fighting.

SeaChem Prime will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Seachem Prime also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. SeaChem Prime is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Conditioner is a super-strength water conditioner. Instantly removes chlorine and detoxifies heavy metals in tap water. Use when setting up a new aquarium or adding water. Safe for all aquatic life.

AquaSafe by Tetra is a new formula now with BioExtract. The new formula now contains seaweed extracts (natural biopolymers) which support the development of beneficial filter bacteria for healthy and clear water. The added ingredients help to reduce aquarium pollution by strengthening the bacterial bed. As always, Tetra’s AquaSafe®\ water conditioner makes tap water safe for fish. - Works in seconds to neutralize chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals present in tap water that can be harmful to fish.

Hikari Ultimate Water Conditioner is the world's first full-function water conditioner. With everything you need in one bottle to maintain a superior environment for your aquatic pets. Aquarium Solutions Ultimate Water Conditioner instantly "ages" water allowing you to enjoy your pets in action quicker without fear of the negative impact of toxic chloramine, ammonia, chlorine, heavy metals or nitrite.

Genesis water conditioner by Aquarium Products, effectively removes harmful chlorine, chloramine and precipitates heavy metals. This product helps fish form their protective coating and to become acclimated to new surroundings. It is Effective in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.

Hagen Nutrafin Aqua Plus is a tap water conditioner that makes tap water safe by eliminating chlorine and chloramine. It also neutralizes heavy metals and protects fish by replacing their natural protective mucous coating. P.H.E. Pure Herbal Extract contributes a positive sedating effect against stress related to transportation, handling and introduction. Patented formula.

Kordon NovAqua provides a protective colloid coating on a fish's body when the natural slime has been removed due to injury, disease or rough handling.
The coating acts like an invisible bandage, providing a barrier against serious loss of internal fluids and electrolytes and protects damaged areas of the body against external toxins and disease causing organisms.
Kordon NovAqua aids in concentrating certain drugs and antibacterials at the diseased or damaged site. NovAqua detoxifies heavy metals and is capable of eliminating free copper ions from solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.