The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to setting up my 30gallon tank 3 weeks ago. Ran the tank with nothing in it for a couple days, while deciding on layout and plants. ordered the plants went almost 2 weeks when the tank cycled. Put some fish in earlier this week. And now I have some plants not doing well at all. Clear leaves, brown leaves and weak and brittle stems.

My PH is at 7.5 right now, its settled there. The ammonia and nitrites are basically 0.

Been running the light for 8 hours every day, timer goes on at 1pm and goes off at 9pm. Temperature in the tank is holding 78F.

Heres my tank set up and whats living inside.

Hardware:
Fluval C4 HOB filter
Finnex 36inch LED Planted plus - 12-14inch above substrate
Aqueon heater
Flourite - 3inch base layer

Plants
Anubias Nangi - 6
Dwarf Sagittaria - 10
Moneywort / Bacopa monnieri - 14
Rotalla - 4
Vallisneria Itallian corckscrew - 10

Fish
Unknown algae eater - 1
pleaco - 1
tiger barbs - 4
tiger danios - 5
pepered catfish - 3
i forget the name barbs - 2

The Dwarf Sagittaria, Moneywort and Italian corckscrews are the ones that are not doing well at all. The others are doing good, and look healthy.

Thank you for the help
Jason

·
Registered
386 Posts
Could be a new tank syndrome for the plants. These plants should be hardy but if they came from a tank with different water parameters, it happens.Try dosing some ferts to supplement your new tank.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Yea you did not mention ferts. New tanks have no nutrients in the sub/water.
And the ones you said were not doing well are in need of getting something through their roots...but there are no ntrients down there.
Plants like, but not limited to Java Fern, Anubias and floating plants get all of their nutrients fom the water. But all plants get ferts from the water. It's just that some are better than others at ALSO getting them from the sub. And I know two or three who have tanks which have sand subs with no root tabs in them and their plants do great.
Simply saying that no plant "needs" ferts in the sub...IF they can get them from the water.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303
BTW: If that is a common Pleco...they eat plants and get 2' long. And need driftwood for the digestive system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2 pieces of drift wood in there. And i dont think it was, i got it from a tank with plants at my local store.

I did forget to mention the Nutrients ive added. There are root tabs threw out the tank, and I have been using the Seachem plant packs of liquid nutrients.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm no expert on plants, but do you guys think perhaps they may need more than 8 hours of light per day? Mine are on for 12-16 every day with thriving low light plants and no algae. My light is also a lot crappier than yours though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't know if it will make much difference to the plants but those rocks look like they have calcite inclusions. If you have a nitrate test kit, #2 bottle is an acid and will foam in contact with calcareous rocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.