The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost another shrimp today...the most beautiful & healthy looking one
I lost one last week as well.

I have been browsing through other threads and am not finding anything that seems to fit as to why they're dying.

It's 8 gallons
All I have right now are the test strips so it's not super accurate but I'm going to get another kit soon.

Temp: 77 (was 80...lowered it today)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
GH: 25
Chlorine: 0
KH: 40
pH: 6.2

I do about 30% weekly water changes, feeding every 3 days or so
they are all active, I just wake up and I find one dead

Only other tankmates are nerites

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ppm

ive been keeping them at about 77-78 for over a month now, i would think that they would have been dying sooner. whats the ideal temp?

·
Registered
46 Posts
recommended gh in ppm is like 72 to 249? if i did the math right. but i would shoot for 110 to 150. I'm no expert though, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I lower the temp really gradually?

The test strips say ppm, they don't give me the exact readings. Between 0-25 for GH , and 0-40 for KH

All I can say is that the color is lighter than it says on the chart so the exact reading is probably lower than 25 and 40. test strips suck.

like i said....i'm buying a water kit soon. they're better, yes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Should I lower the temp really gradually?

The test strips say ppm, they don't give me the exact readings. Between 0-25 for GH , and 0-40 for KH

All I can say is that the color is lighter than it says on the chart so the exact reading is probably lower than 25 and 40. test strips suck.

like i said....i'm buying a water kit soon. they're better, yes?
ya I think it's dangerous to lower too fast. I use these two sites for parameters:
http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/
http://www.shrimpery.com/shrimps
for gh and kh you multiply those numbers by like 17.8 to get to ppm

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
huh cherry shrimp should be fine in that temp and are very hardy...then again 8 gallons isnt much to work with so maybe the water changes is changing the params to much to fast for them?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Can we bring up the fact that this person changes 30% of an 8 gallon everyweek.
If this is your wc schedule I dont suppose you drip the water do you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and the two I lost were adults.

I have four babies in there and they are doing fine. I would think that they would be the first to go?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You posted on 4/13 that you were new to shrimp ... How long has that tank been set up? You don't post any readings for ammonia, and 0 nitrates makes me wonder if it's cycled?

·
Registered
46 Posts
weekly changes are okay, just make sure to add the new water slowly. dripping can be done by tying a knot in an air tube and siphoning the new water into the tank (idk if i'm explaining it right, should be vids on youtube). I think 10% weekly is recommended, but some people just go by TDS?

again, I'm no expert, but I think your gh is most alarming. 0-25 ppm which would be 1.4 dGH or less...unless we're just assuming the strips aren't working correctly. even if they're off by a few dGH, you still might need to bring it up. either way a liquid dropper test will tell you for sure...

·
Registered
248 Posts
whats your TDS ? are you using ro or tap water for top offs. i don't think the temps to high for the type shrimp you have.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts