The Planted Tank Forum banner

What am I doing WRONG!!???

2396 22
I recently set up this 75G and am having some algae issues and even plant issues. I'm somewhat new to the hobby so i'm super frustrated. I had green algae that went away after i raised the light fixture for a couple of days and added a hugry pleco. Now i have this brownish stuff growing on the glass especially near the substrate and on my cichlid stones. How do i get rid of this. I dose leaf zone once a week per bottle instructions and i dose Liquid co2 daily. I'm not sure if i'm using too much or too little light? At the moment i'm running two 39w geismann while i wait for two more in the mail. I bought the light off craigslist and it came with blue bulbs for corals. I run the two lighter ones once in a while. I posted a pic of the height between the tank and fixture, is it too low? I have the light on a timer from 11:00am to 10:30pm. too much? Is ten the limit? Any pointers would be awesome! Oh, and what the hell is wrong with my wisteria?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,907 Posts
i took a very dim shot of my bulbs for color reference
from left to right
ge starcoat 6500
geiseman aquaflora
wavepoint red (is purple, lots of blue)
geiseman midday

plants grow phenominal, and fish color is not sacrificed the plants use morel ight frm the wavepoint than the aquaflora its mostly red and blue. gives the tank a natural look as well when mixed with a midday or 6500 k bulb. fish look awesome under it as well
also as u can see the geise midday is very green. looks very bright. its no brighter than the ge starcoat and plant growth appears to be the same under either bulb

so we can see that different bulbs can get the job done.. i used to fret over bulbs a while back as well. now i just pick ones that look good and have a decent spectrum

have u tested ur nitrate or phosphate levels? plants basically looked starved for nutrients. this could also be carbon shortage as well. liquid co2 is a poor supplement in my opinion. lower ur light levels a little, drop to one bulb for 10 hours a day until things get healthy, or ur gonna continually fight algae and poor looking plants

Attachments

· Registered
4,907 Posts
Wonderful. However nitrate at zero is a problem. Plants need it. Api leaf zone is basically iron. So u might invest in dosing some more ferts.

Nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium at a bare minimum. The other micros wont hurt but u can survive without them on a low tech tank.. but zero readings are gonna give u the yellowing plants u see in the pictures. Nitrogen is needed for chlorophyll production!! And that is the basis for how the plant generates its food!

· Registered
4,907 Posts
a good place to start is green leaf aquariums. its a forum sponsor. they have a green fert package that has everything u'll need in an easy to dose dry form for about 20 bux.

dry fertilizers are very cost effective. that package will likely last more than a year for u

edit: you will likely want to invest in a decent teaspoon measuring kit.. or a cheap teaspoon measuring kit.

· Registered
4,907 Posts
if u leave all ur bulbs on then yes, u need co2.. i'd ty running half ur lighting configuration and see if things improve
as far as dosing,

For higher light, Co2 enriched tank's that are moderately
to heavy planted.

Add o2 to your tank daily, by either air stone or surface
agitation.

Dry Dosing... Use measuring spoon's found at
most department store's in the utensils section, scoop
appropriate amount and toss in the tank, simple as that!

I use to keep an old travel mug under the tank, and
keep fertilizers in large spice bottles, scoop appropriate
amount into cup, dip in tank, stir and serve.
Tsp=Teaspoon

*Dry Dosing Plantex CSM+B...
Converting 1 tablespoon to 250ml H20,
20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry fertilizer.
There are 12 - 1/4 teaspoons dissolved
250ml/12=20.83ml.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

"If dosing a 10gal highlight C02 enriched tank,
divide above regime x2"

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

since u are not going for a high tech tank right now, start with no co2, and dose half the reccommended levels for your tank size

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.