The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank (my first) has been going about three weeks. I am not getting any root development for the ground cover - they tend to float off and I am getting green slime mold. I am running CO2 and light about 8-10 hrs a day and I am keeping the water around 68 degrees F. You can see some of the larger leaves have some sort of damage.
many tips?

·
Registered
290 Posts
You’ll need to provide a lot more info on what you’re doing, what your setup is, what your water parameters are, what your water source is, etc.

For starters though, 8-10 hours of light is likely just too much right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree, you have too much lighting, and your green slime mold is probably green algae, which is can be caused by an ammonia spike (when there is a lot of left over food or fish poop left in the tank). But from the current info, that's all I can speculate about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreeing with everyone here but want to add your tank is very new and probably hasnt finished the nitrogen cycle yet. Which means you need to give your tank time to finish cycling and build up beneficial bacteria that will denitrify your water and prevent bad bacteria and algae from spawning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’ll need to provide a lot more info on what you’re doing, what your setup is, what your water parameters are, what your water source is, etc.

I am`using Controlsoil substrate and RO water only. I have no fish. snails or others. Just plants now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What should i use?
There are numerous options.

I started with an all in one fertilizer from aquarium co-op, It was called easy green. There’s another popular all in one from nilcog aquatics called thrive.

You can opt to go with the dry fertilizer from greenleafaquariums. These you have to mix yourself, but you get a bottle for macros and a bottle for micros, which means you can alter your proportion of macro to micro instead of being stuck with a certain ratio like you are with the all in one options.

You also need something in your RO water. Salty shrimp GH+ or greenleafaquariums GH booster both work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are numerous options.

I started with an all in one fertilizer from aquarium co-op, It was called easy green. There’s another popular all in one from nilcog aquatics called thrive.

You can opt to go with the dry fertilizer from greenleafaquariums. These you have to mix yourself, but you get a bottle for macros and a bottle for micros, which means you can alter your proportion of macro to micro instead of being stuck with a certain ratio like you are with the all in one options.

You also need something in your RO water. Salty shrimp GH+ or greenleafaquariums GH booster both work well.

Thank you - i will try both!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here it is almost two weeks later. I’ve gone low light5 hours a day max. Used Throve and Shrimp mineral as suggested.
now there is algae bloom and it doesn’t seem that the ground cover is rooting.
should I scrap this whole thing and start over? This just looks awful to me.

This tank (my first) has been going about three weeks. I am not getting any root development for the ground cover - they tend to float off and I am getting green slime mold. I am running CO2 and light about 8-10 hrs a day and I am keeping the water around 68 degrees F. You can see some of the larger leaves have some sort of damage.
many tips? View attachment 1025100 View attachment 1025101 View attachment 1025102
Plant Water People in nature Vegetation Terrestrial plant
Plant Water People in nature Vegetation Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
290 Posts
What is that carpet plant?

Is that your water that’s green or just the glass?

Under 2 weeks isn’t enough time to correct poor plant health, however you’re correct that there are more issues of some sort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is that carpet plant?

Is that your water that’s green or just the glass?

Under 2 weeks isn’t enough time to correct poor plant health, however you’re correct that there are more issues of some sort.

Potted dwarf baby tears.

Potted dwarf baby tears.
Oh and yes the water is green.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Potted dwarf baby tears.

Oh and yes the water is green.
So, it was grown out of water then you put it into your tank correct? If so that tends to take a while for the plant to get used to growing underwater, and you’ll tend to have quite a bit of melt first.

What are your water parameters?

Ph
Gh
Kh
Temp
Phosphate
Nitrates

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.