The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Google doesn't know everything, and I wanted to ask the true hobby'ists. I have a planted fluval spec V sitting at a majestic temperature of around 75 degrees (give or take 2 degrees). All the parameters are perfect according to the test kit (pH is at around 7.2 ish). I have only 3 cherry shrimp in this tank, so why are they not very active? Two of them I added about 3 months ago, and they've been great. They would swim occasionally and be still occasionally, which I thought just meant they were shy. I recently added another shrimp (golden bee) to the tank and she was like a torpedo for the first 2 days or so, and now I barely see her. My other two have become super still as well as the golden bee, so what's going on? Why are they so uninterested in swimming around?

·
Registered
752 Posts
What is your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? How long has the tank been up? And finally any live plants?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You need to keep all of their water parameters within suitable range to keep them alive and healthy. That means pH, GH, KH, temperature and even TDS.
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

Golden Bees are of the Caridina genus and need softer, acidic water. The pH of 7.2 is already too high for them. May have been darting because of stress and is now slowly dying from unsuitable water params.

Red Cherry Shrimp are Neocaridinas and are more hardier and adaptable, but the water params still need to be within certain range.
I haven't kept shrimp in a small group of just 3 so I don't know if they get the same depression that social fish get if kept in too small of a group.

They don't have to be active 24/7, sometimes they only spike in activity when they are going to breed or from water changes or when lights go off or just come on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The ammonia is 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 0 as well. I have four kinds of live plants in the tank: Mariano miss balls, crypts, and two petco plant varieties that I have no idea what they are called. I also have driftwood. It's been running for about 3 months.
I didn't realize that the two shrimp were different genus..stupid of me I guess. What can I do to make it better for both of them? I just hate seeing them so still
I asked a while back abut of shrimp like to be in groups and I think you may be right. I will get them some more buddies so they can feel safer and more comfortable. They do hangout around eachother.
Update: yellow shrimp is more active now, swimming around quite a bit. The red shrimp are sitting around or moving about the tank slowly. Maybe I'm just expecting them to be active all the time. Not sure. Maybe this is just the way they are, but I have anxiety about them being Seemingly unhappy haha. Hopefully someone can shed some insight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.