The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a pretty low level question. I just wanted to bounce it off y’all though.

I’d like to attach these handles (marineland canopy handles) to the top of my glass canopy(s) made from 1/4” glass measuring about 22” x 10”. What adhesive should I use? Silicone? Some sort of epoxy?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
I’ve got a pretty low level question. I just wanted to bounce it off y’all though.

I’d like to attach these handles (marineland canopy handles) to the top of my glass canopy(s) made from 1/4” glass measuring about 22” x 10”. What adhesive should I use? Silicone? Some sort of epoxy?
Don't they have adhesive already on them?
Just peel and stick.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There’s no way I can use that cheap double sided tape. I was looking for a more reliable and permanent solution.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
There’s no way I can use that cheap double sided tape. I was looking for a more reliable and permanent solution.
I have versa tops for both my 40b and 55 and the standard included tape has not failed in over 10 years.
Biggest glass piece though is approx 36 x 8 x 3/16 .

Silicone and plastic don' t play well.

Bonding all types of glass to itself and glass to non-porous materials such as, steel and certain plastics

Henkel..LePage and Loctite seem all the same.

Scotch weld dp-8005... See pdf.

Reactions: AsEpSiS

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I just use the adhesive that comes on them and have never had one fail. Of course I don't lift the lids using just the handles. Common sense tells me to use two hands on the larger ones I have. I have used silicone, super glue, epoxy, and others for old ones I have tried to reuse and the only thing that works for me is Gorilla 2 sided tape. It is thin and clear and holds tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts