The Planted Tank Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning an Iwagumi style ADA Mini M with a UG or HC carpet. Can anyone recommend a specific pair of ADA scissors for pruning a carpet in a nano?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Or you could get some scissors without a BS price tag.

GLA sells "aquascaping scissors" for a much better price, but they're all basically just surgical scissors which you can find on ebay super cheap.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I can buy top of the line surgical scissors cheaper than those.
Well....

Being in the shall we say "quasi" medical field, and using surgical grade scissors everyday, I will say it is very difficult to find truly high grade surgical scissors for that price. Trust me on this. I spend over $90 per pair of 5" straight/blunts.

When you look at the price, don't fail to realize that they are made of a decent grade stainless steel. Also consider the difficulty of manufacture and design. Do you know how difficult it is to sharpen those "S" curved blades? The tools are innovative. Easy to copy, but I'd imagine difficult to design and get right.

Like them or not, the ADA aquascaping tools are high quality instruments. I own several and will vouch for the quality. Their price is reflective of that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Or you could get some scissors without a BS price tag.
But the OP asked specifically about ADA brand...
I (and others) buy ADA because we a: appreciate the quality b: appreciate the design c: CHOOSE to spend our $$ on ADA (I earn it, I spend it where, when & on what I choose):bounce:

Try and remember the following before stomping on other members posts...
"If you have nothing constructive to contribute, contribute nothing!"

Larry K
Yeah, I'm getting grumpy in my old age, so what? ;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I can buy top of the line surgical scissors cheaper than those.
No, you really can't....

But, the point here is... it's your money to spend (or not) any way you choose. Don't want ADA brand, simple solution is to not purchase ADA
products...

The OP *ASKED* about ADA products, since I own and use them I answered
his question....:cool:

Further thoughts posted to FSM above...

Larry K
stepping off my soap box & taking my happy pill :flick:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I appreciate the cheaper alternatives recommended, as i cant afford $100 trimming scissors atm. I know Koop asked specifically about ADA brand but giving opinions on other brands can be very useful to everyone because they could work just as well, worse or better.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No, you really can't....

But, the point here is... it's your money to spend (or not) any way you choose. Don't want ADA brand, simple solution is to not purchase ADA
products...

The OP *ASKED* about ADA products, since I own and use them I answered
his question....:cool:

Further thoughts posted to FSM above...

Larry K
stepping off my soap box & taking my happy pill :flick:
Please show me where in my post I told the OP that he should not buy ADA instruments. I thought that I was merely expressing amazement at the cost, however apparently anything even slightly off topic is no longer allowed in this forum. Sorry, I wont talk about ADA products in a thread about ADA products again.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry, I wont talk about ADA products in a thread about ADA products again.
airborne_r6, no reference to ADA that I see in either one of the following posts:

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I can buy top of the line surgical scissors cheaper than those.
I am sure that there are much better medical instruments than these out there but I use the lowest grade in the lab and they are great. I use the 11" curved metzenbaum to trim my tank.
So, once again I'll say that the OP asked about ADA products, and I answered his question with my *opinion* regarding that specific brand (which I happen to own & use) I DID NOT say there were no other brands that would do the job (nor did I interject any information or opinions concerning those brands) I simply answered the question asked :proud:

I think those Pakistan curved 11" work fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr
As do I sir... :wink: but the ADA version do it with so much more Style *LoL*

Ok, this is way too serious... I'm out of this thread :rolleyes:

koop, hope my original post was helpful to you, as that was my only intention

Larry K

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
koop, hope my original post was helpful to you, as that was my only intention
Yes, thank you. I just picked up the a pair of Pro Scissors Sprint (Curve Type).

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I think those Pakistan curved 11" work fine.
Until they rust out! LOL!

Seriously, if people do go the way of some of the less expensive, cheaper "stainless steel" scissors (which we all understand BTW) , be sure to give them a fairly good wipe down after you use them. You want to dry them down as much as you can.

If you don't they will tend to get a bit rusty, at the pivot point in particular. That makes the scissors feel "gummy" and tends to make them a little more difficult and uncomfortable to use.

·
Registered
499 Posts
airborne_r6, no reference to ADA that I see in either one of the following posts:

Please go back and read post #4 where I quoted this post:

Pro Scissors Sprint (Curve Type)

and

Pro Scissors Wave Type

If I had to have just one pair (NOT going to happen!) it would be
the Pro scissors sprint... they're great in tight spots :proud:
and then added this comment:

The word "THOSE" in my post clearly refers to the scissors.

I gravely misunderstood that not only I am not allowed to talk about ADA products in an ADA thread but that I am also just not allowed to talk in an ADA thread. I will yield to the awesomeness of the ADA and never again address the ADA without first being addressed by the ADA and then I will avert my gaze and bow the all perfect ADA. To show my devotion and my utter lack of being in comparison to the ADA and to maybe gain some compassion and forgiveness from the ADA I will now go and commit ritual suicide using shards of glass from a perfect ADA tank.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gravely misunderstood that not only I am not allowed to talk about ADA products in an ADA thread but that I am also just not allowed to talk in an ADA thread. I will yield to the awesomeness of the ADA and never again address the ADA without first being addressed by the ADA and then I will avert my gaze and bow the all perfect ADA. To show my devotion and my utter lack of being in comparison to the ADA and to maybe gain some compassion and forgiveness from the ADA I will now go and commit ritual suicide using shards of glass from a perfect ADA tank.
Come on everyone play nice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Loving it :hihi:. You guys don't have anything else to fuss about?!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.