The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its only been a week since I added 3 GBR to our 36 gallon. As was my hunch from date of purchase, I had 2 females and 1 male since this morning I woke up to eggs!

Tank mates are 15 neon tetras and 5 otos. Are there any precautions I should take to get these eggs to hatch? Is it necessary for a grow out tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
The eggs shouldn't be bothered at all by the otos. The parents will protect them from the neons and will become very aggressive towards other tank mates. However, if the tank is not slightly acidic and soft, the eggs will not hatch, ime. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the parents ended up eating all of the eggs prior to hatching (at least I believe prior to hatching).

When the eggs were there I noticed the parents were actively monitoring and punishing the 2nd (non-parent) female's movements.

When (if) they do breed again, I am planning on pulling the eggs out of the tank and placing them in a 5.5 tank with two sponge filters on it along with some hornwort I will be pulling out of the pond.

I do have a few questions about this as well....

Is it possible that the male will mate with the 2nd female or will he stick with the 1st female even if the 2nd is ready to mate and the 1st is not?

My second question is about pulling the eggs.

I plan on using a bare bottom aquarium, but I am wondering about water parameters. I have read that eggs will fail to develop in harder water, which, despite using RO/DI water, our water is. To give you an idea of what ro systems are fighting against, our water out of the tap is around 8.2 with a gh/kh over 25. Even with RO (store bought) the parameters sit at about 7.2 and 10 (respectively).

Is it possible for eggs to hatch in parameters this high? Since we are only talking about 5.5 gallons, I can switch the water to distilled water and add Kent's R/O right to get the parameters up a little.

This brings me to my final question:

If you allow the eggs to be fertilized in the 7.2 and 10kh water, will switching them to lower parameters wreck the development of the eggs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.