The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep a long story short, I purchased some rasbora from a local fish store but once home I noticed 2 had some fin rot. So I quarantine them in a 10 gallon tank with some water lettuce and a piece of driftwood. several days goes by, the 2 fish die (they were the only fishes in the tank). That was about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but today I noticed there were 2 frys in the tank. They're about 3mm, the tank doesn't have a any heater, air, or filtration, but somehow the 2 fry is still swimming around just fine. Should I take them out to a better tank, and can I crush up flake food to feed them?

any suggestion would be great.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would slowly increase temperature up to the required water temperature, unless you're room temp is already acceptable. Also, it might not be rasboras, but eggs from fish in the tank that the water lettuce came from. If you've got any rainbows or whiteclouds, its a good chance those are them.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Crushed flakes will work fine, if they'll eat them. Live foods are always best to stimulate fry to eat (such as baby brine shrimp or small worm cultures), but if you can't find those, frozen daphnia or Cyclop-eeze often also go over well.

You should consider adding a snail to the tank to clean up uneaten food.

And I'd start doing small daily water changes since the tank doesn't have a filter. A gallon every day should be perfect, and easy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Take a little bit of hard boiled egg - yolk and mash it up in a few drops of water.Feed occasionally by eye dropper, again - very little at a time! Do it for a few days, until you notice some growthof the fry.

You will notice yellow stomach area...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I do have Praecox rainbows from my bigger tanks where my water lettuce came from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts