The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which part are you referring to? If I am correct in assuming which part you are asking about, that appears to be the pressure release (safety) valve.
Yes that’s what I’m referring to, is it necessary? Can I remove it and plug the hole? Does it effect the regulator performance?

Looks like something else might bust before this does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Yes that’s what I’m referring to, is it necessary? Can I remove it and plug the hole? Does it effect the regulator performance?

Well you can do what you like but basically most would say.....no you cannot remove it
It opens if 1 st stage exceeds a certain pressure ( usually between 200-300 psi) .
Keeps full tank pressure (650-1000 psi for CO2) from entering the regulator.

For safety there should actually be another one in the outlet at like 50psi but few add that one. Some rare 2 stage regs have them built in.

Hmmm looks like someone plugged it already.
Why not just cut the seatbelts out of their car .. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts

These are 2 different types of pressure relief valves. The one with the ring can be manually activated the other cannot.

Household hardware Door Circle Metal Fashion accessory

Circuit component Cylinder Gas Office supplies Cable

Some will say you need to run a pressure relief valve and others don't. The pressure relief valve is there to relieve pressure if the working pressure diaphragm has a issue and sends unregulated bottle pressure through. If you want to use one make sure the pressure rating is at least 25% higher than your regulators working pressure.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well you can do what you like but basically most would say.....no you cannot remove it
It opens if 1 st stage exceeds a certain pressure ( usually between 200-300 psi) .
Keeps full tank pressure (650-1000 psi for CO2) from entering the regulator.

For safety there should actually be another one in the outlet at like 50psi but few add that one. Some rare 2 stage regs have them built in.

Hmmm looks like someone plugged it already.
Why not just cut the seatbelts out of their car .. ;)
The the relief valve is only worthwhile if its rated pressure is correct for co2 pressures.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Another clue that this is not a pressure relief valve is the fact there is threads at the end that can be plugged. Pressure relief valves are not designed that way for that exact reason.
No some are threaded to port out gas..

·
Registered
400 Posts

Well I stand corrected. I wonder what pressure his is? 1000 PSI, like the one shown here, does you no good with co2 running at 800 PSI. At that point it might as well be plugged or removed. It might be stamped on the unit like picture? I guess you might also get a hint by what application the regulator was originally used for.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Well I stand corrected. I wonder what pressure his is? 1000 PSI, like the one shown here, does you no good with co2 running at 800 PSI. At that point it might as well be plugged or removed. It might be stamped on the unit like picture? I guess you might also get a hint by what application the regulator was originally used for.
Yea I saw that too... There are a bunch of brands with " like" safeties
Maybe one will list pressure. Should be around 30O-ish
See the 2 types.
Hmmm actually looks like the ported one is somewhat adjustable

O/T These are so cool for "downstream" .

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yea I saw that too... There are a bunch of brands with " like" safeties
Maybe one will list pressure. Should be around 30O-ish
See the 2 types.
Hmmm actually looks like the ported one is somewhat adjustable

I was thinking about it. The pressure relief valve is there to protect the equipment downstream of the low pressure side of the regulator. Say for example you had a 300# pressure relief valve and a slow diaphragm leak. The pressure will build and build on it way to 300 psi. I wonder what kind of damage everything down stream would sustain? I bet you that bubble counter of flow meter would pop long before 300 PSI. Maybe not.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I was thinking about it. The pressure relief valve is there to protect the equipment downstream of the low pressure side of the regulator. Say for example you had a 300# pressure relief valve and a slow diaphragm leak. The pressure with build and build on it way to 300 psi. I wonder what kind of damage everything down stream would sustain? I bet you that bubble counter of flow meter would pop long before 300 PSI. Maybe not.
Yea but moreso just the regulator at least in our case.
Common CO2 tubing is rated for 40psi or lower.
No idea in the plastics BUT I got mega crazing on an in line atomizer at 45 psi to the point of plastic failure.
Assuming 1st stage is set to around 90 psi..that is what would hit downstream in the event if second stage seat failure.
Even if the system can take it it will probably kill your fish
the greater the pressure, the greater the flow rate.
I put 40-50 psi reliefs on a tee right after reg outlet..and clamp all 1/4 od hoses
Bit overkill but hey only adds like $20.

And you have 2 seats /diaphragms that can fail.
If second stage fails you get first stage pressure.
Looking over a few specs seems that can be as little as under 100psi to around 300psi depending on the 1st stage setting.
I do seem to recall that like 300psi safety on the 1st stage is rarer than lower ones.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Sorry, tired of editing..
Victor® Brass Relief Valve (For SR 250, 350, 400, 450 Series Regulators)
By
Victor Equipment. Listed pressure 400 psi.
Certainly would peg the lp gauge.

Alternate is 200 psi.. go figure.

·
Registered
608 Posts

This style is very useful if you're working with a toxic or flammable gas and want to vent it to a safe location.

On the topic of cool regulator stuff, I've always thought relieving regulators are pretty cool. Pretty useless for our use since the there isn't going to be a downstream pressure spike but cool none the less

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This style is very useful if you're working with a toxic or flammable gas and want to vent it to a safe location.

On the topic of cool regulator stuff, I've always thought relieving regulators are pretty cool. Pretty useless for our use since the there isn't going to be a downstream pressure spike but cool none the less

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
That makes perfect sense I found out my regulator was made for hydrogen. Do you think this is going to be a problem for our application?

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
That makes perfect sense I found out my regulator was made for hydrogen. Do you think this is going to be a problem for our application?

I don't see it being a problem. Usually, I'd avoid regulators that were used in corrosive gas applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts