The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a few days ago I posted a thread asking about lighting for my first ever planted tank and I got lots of really useful info and help from people. But I failed to realize something about my tank that kinda poked a hole in my plan. So to start, the tank is 54 gallons and kind of a weird shape. It’s a bow front corner type tank but the back wall is flat. I’ll provide pictures below. It’s 41 inches long, 20 inches deep in the very center and just under 24 inches tall. I wanted to just have a nice low tech build, low light, no co2. I wanted to purchase the Fluval plant 3.0. (36-48 in) The reviews are good and being able to customize settings etc seems like a good idea for someone starting out like me. And from what I got from some research, the par was perfectly adequate for low light plants and the height of my tank. But I failed to realize, the glass lid is not nearly the size of the tank. The glass lid is only 30 inches long! A whole 11 inches does not let light through. So the 36 inch light would overlap onto the black trim 3 inches on each side. How much light and dispersion would I be losing with that? Since the tank is also 20 inches deep, the light dispersion needs to be good. I can’t get the 24-30 inch version as it would be much too weak. I could probably add another light to the back, but it would also have to have enough par at 24 inches and 2 lights with decent power would cost a decent amount. I don’t wanna break the bank. Any ideas or thoughts, should I get an extra light, or 2 of the same lights of any kind? What would work best. Also, to note, the back of the tank has even less length for a light at 28 inches. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
Finnex makes 30" lights..
2 on/off only (out of the box.. can be "changed" ) Stingray 2's will be plenty of light..
2 for 120-ish (30 and 24)
Much more "fun"
$133 for the "pair". I'd worry about the pogram interference between a pair though. Could get tricky. Don't know.
24 mode is a bit wonky.
so does............................. Hygger ;)
Well what can I say..
Or Aquaneat or Nicrew:

A 30" and 24" (24" would have it's feet on the glass)
30 and 24 Nicrew would be about $80.
But check the features and your need/want list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have very similar tank. Only difference is mine is drilled so it goes to a point in the back. I ended up ordering chirios A series. And made a hanging brackets to keep them a few inches above the tank. And I think I used the 36inch length and 24". I'll have to check exact sizes when I get home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts