The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Hi Everybody,

What’s the longest you have had a plan to tank up and running with the same substrate, and what substrate(s) did you use?

FishroomBum
My 75g was started 3/28/2015 (page 1 of my journal). Still have the same substrate which is Eco Complete.
Low maintenance, yes. Would I recommend it for a planted tank, no. There are better options such as Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

Reactions: Leeatl

·
Registered
782 Posts
5 years using ecocomplete in my 60g, low tech. Only have to do a major water change about once or twice a year since I tend to run heavy on plants relative to fish and mostly dose that one with root tabs.

My 30g has been going for 4 years (also on ecocomplete), similar scenario.

I do wish I'd done blasting sand though, as I like the look more, and my stems would root more effectively in it.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 75g was started 3/28/2015 (page 1 of my journal). Still have the same substrate which is Eco Complete.
Low maintenance, yes. Would I recommend it for a planted tank, no. There are better options such as Black Diamond Blasting Sand.
Hey Immortal1 (there can be only one!). How would you layer your BDBS? Would that be the only substrate or would you cap something with the BDBS?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
9 years, extremely low tech/ diy- think sugar/yeast in a 2 liter pepsi bottle CO2. Frankenstein hob using a mini waterfall pump to turn it into an odd pseudo hanging canister. 20G tall betta tank.

Substrate was a couple handfuls of dirt (barely covered the bottom) 1/8" crushed lava stones mixed with laterite 1/8" crushed lava stones 1/4" crushed lava stones mixed with inert black sand 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" of inert black sand. Root and flourish tabs through the bottom. I still have it set up dry because that tank took care of itself. When the last betta passed away I was in the process moving everything to a 30G with an actual pressurized CO2 unit, a real canister filter and some sort of off brand ecosoil under a couple inches of sand. I must admit the first system worked much better for the long run as I needed to refresh the ecosoil wannabe every 3-6 months depending on growth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.