The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested to hear from other sump users, what combo of filtration do feel works best, how many chambers do you have and what’s in them?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have a wet/dry filter that I use as a sump . The dirty water comes in through pipe D and goes through a piece of egg crate with the blue backed filter material and a bunch of bio balls just because I had them on hand at A , then through a piece of finer material over a large bag of Seachem Matrix , at B . The heaters are in here , F , below the Matrix tray . Then through a block of sponge from an Aqua Clear at C . The final chamber is for the return pumps E . Works very well and I only have to rinse the blue backed material every 3-4 weeks . I also have a large intake sponge on the main drain in the overflow . The pumps and tubing need cleaning about every 4-5 months . I use DC pumps and recommend them highly . Hope this helps .

Attachments

Reactions: Abi

·
Registered
335 Posts
My sump uses a 100-micron filter sock that I used for the mechanical filtration. I change the filter sock during my weekly water change and once during the week so that the stuff trapped in the filter sock does not have time to deteriorate into ammonia/nitrates. The center chamber has my heater, temp, and pH probes, as well as a media bag with large ceramic media for bio filtration. The last chamber is for the ATO and return pump. The sump is plumbed for a herbie-style drain from an external overflow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies, those are both great set ups! Mine is very basic by comparison and is my first ever sump. I just have sponges from very coarse to fine, then floss in first chamber. Flow then travels up a bubble trap chamber then down through alphagrog into 3rd chamber with nothing in atm other than heater, 4th chamber has dc pump. Do I need more bio media in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a used 90 gallon that came with a crystal 30 trigger system sump. Although it's nice, I don't think I would fork out the cash for it.

I use a 200 micron felt filter sock with a 200 micron mesh filter sock inside of it. I use the mesh sock to catch larger debris and baby shrimp. I feel it extends the life of the felt sock. I keep the first chamber mostly empty. The second chamber has pieces of matala filter, spare rocks, and lava rock gravel in mesh bags. The water then goes over a weir into the third chamber. In the weir, the water goes through a sponge, then poly fill, then lava rock in a mesh bag. Last chamber has the return pump and co2 diffuser with the diffuser next to the pump so the bubbles get sucked in.

I use the sump as a shrimp and fish nursery, and keep extra plants.

I love the sump setup. I came from the saltwater world and always used a sump. I can't imagine a tank without one. It hides all the equipment, gets you extra water volume, and co2 off gassing isn't an issue if you do the right setup. I don't see any downsides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.