The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
"Whilst there is no consensus for what is actually accepted as a nano aquarium, generally it is any tank that is less than 10 gallons."

"These Nano Aquariums is a fish-invertebrate community aquarium that is less than 20 gallons in capacity and can be the center of attention in any room."

"Nano is greek for dwarf and refers to small, compact aquariums not exceeding 30 gallons. Most common are 10 gallons or less."

So basically "nano" tank is a pretty meaningless term :wink2:

Some European countries have laws prescribing minimum aquarium size (about 54-60 litres I believe) which rules out anything below about 15 US gallons if you happen to live there!

For me, my "BIG" planted tank is about 45 litres (12'ish US gallons) and my "nano" shrimp tanks are about 11 litres (3 US gallon). So the concept of a 10, 20 or 30 gallon tank being called "nano" seems odd to me, but if you're used to having an indoor swimming pool, then I guess these would seem quite small in comparison!

I think most people call anything below about 10 gallon a "nano" tank though, but also depends upon what livestock and planting it contains (miniature plants and fish are more in-keeping with the "nano" theme).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah, the definition is not particularly concise...saltwater hobbyists tend to define a nano tank as one less than 55 gallons, but the freshwater definition is all over the board. My nano fish book (which I don't entirely agree with) gives a figure of 20 gallons or less for freshwater nano tanks; others give 10 gallons or less; and others have different definitions.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Didn’t want to post in the wrong subforum. :wink2:
I don't think anyone will get upset if you do. To be honest, most regular forum readers seem to use the "Active Topics" or "New Posts" button at the top to see what's new, so the sub-forum you post in is pretty irrelevant. I hadn't even noticed that there was a specific "planted nano tank" section until you mentioned it!

So think we can conclude that a nano tank is any tank that is smaller than what you would call a regular one :wink2:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've always wanted to get a tank set up that way, but I always end up with some angelfish in there. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.