The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I have one and I like it, but I don't like that I have to trust the aqualifter pump to keep the siphon going well. I love that it's such a low profile compared to the overflows with tubes. Some stores sell package deals for the CPR overflow, wet/dry, aqualifter pump and water pump.

I've heard really good things about the Life Reef overflows as well.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm using a Eshopps overflow box and 15 year old Amiracle wet/dry that I used on one of my old reef tanks. CPR and Eshopps are both really good wet/dry filters but there really isn't much to a wet/dry filter anyway so just find one that is the right price and go with it. And like Aaron said there is several kits that you can buy from places such as Marine Depot or Aquacave that will have the overflow, sump, return pump, aqualifter pump(CPR models), and hose kits. The only bad thing about some of these kits is the return pump may not be the brand you want. Here is a nice CPR setup for under $300 but you will need to buy a return pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CMB_...Combo_Kits-CPR-CR1313-FIFRWDPD-CRCM90-vi.html

http://www.aquacave.com/CPR-CR900-WetDry-Filter-by-CPR-Aquatics-P1356C66.aspx

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Got my cpr from marine depot shipped fast too.
The aqualifter does a great job of keeping it primed. The only thing i can suggest is.. stick a toothpick down into the overflow siphon priming port once weekly to keep it clear of debris. Its a safe and effective way to make sure ur covered for floods

Other wise, u can also use a venturi to keep the siphon going in a power outage event.
Gravity sihpon works well too but if power goes out, u have no assurances itll keep going

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping you would chime in... I knew you had a CPR set up so I was wanting your feedback as well..do you keep a spare aqua lifter pump on hand? I know someone said to keep one on hand for back up... Im a diy"er" so I'm trying to figure if I feel like makin my own acrylic wet /dry based off cpr's model , with a few mods, or if I should just buy it...ill be making decision today and ordering tonight if I don't decide to DIY it

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i love mine. its sooooooo simple to maintain..

i do not have a spare. my first one did die which was my fault.. ( i pulled the intake off )

just make sure u get the prefilter with it.. saves the diaphragm frm getting clogged and u can replace the prefilter material with pillow batting, or filter floss if u have some so its a cheap maintenance item. i rinse mine out about once a month

even if the aqualifter dies, u can also stick the siphon line into the inlet of ur main pump and and it will keep the siphon going until u get another aqualifter

the overflow is SLEEK. that's why i got it. the only downside for me is that u can't clean the inside. every two months i'll run a backet and pump in my shower full of tilex and hot water
then a second run of hydrogen peroxide... it sparkes again and i go on my way,, this is usually during a good sump cleaning as well.. u may not have to go that far but im anal about clear things staying clear.. otherwise its just gets a slight brown film

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
i don't know if u plan on running co2 or not, but its also one of the easier setups to seal as well
This is why I went with CPR over eshopps. So far I love my wet/dry CPR setup. The aqualifter is a great pump too and I just pike it with a pipe cleaner weekly to insure no issues. I picked up a rebuild kit for it just in case, but others just get a spare pump as they are so cheap. Super high O2 levels and you can just feed you co2 line into the return pump.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i went with the cpr 90 overflow, cpr 900 wet/dry, aqua lifter, and using a rio hyper flow 12hf pump.. gonna order a 20 inch house filter tonight

edit its going on a 75gal with tek 4 bulb fixture
I probably would have gone with a mag drive for a 75 gallon.. but i do like taam products. Efficient, quiet, and they dont get hot.

Ill probably be getting a mag drive for my 75 when it comes in
Should be a good build!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.