The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my friends came into my office and saw my planted tank a week ago and invited me to his ranch in the Texas hill country to see if there were any plants in his springs/creeks that I wanted. I had been there before but it was mostly for photography purposes and hadn't explored the springs. Well let me just say that this ranch is AWESOME! I counted over 21 caves 3 of which I crawled into looking around (found one fish inside one of the caves). The owner understandably doesn't want the location disclosed but here are a few pictures from there:
First, the biggest spring. It comes out of a large cave at around 69-70F yr. round. In this picture, it is right under my feet forming a pool at the entrance. You'll even notice a smaller spring to the right flowing into the creek that is formed:

Link in case it don't work
This is a view from down the creek looking back toward the spring. Unfortunately, it was pretty cold out and I couldn't get in the water to get close enough to see a good view of the entrance:

Link in case it pic don't show
Finally a few plants found in the creek:
Some type of submerged worts:

Link in case pics don't show
Some other types of worts emergent:

Link in case pic don't show
Finally an unidentified plant:

Link in case pic don't show
There was aquatic life everywhere. I found at least three diff. types of aqautic snails, crayfish, several diff. types of fish (one in a cave), and several diff. aquatic insects.
This aquatic salamander we found exists nowhere else but in a 30-40ft pool on this ranch which I though was pretty cool:

Link
and in hand:

Link
Lastly, every small aquatic animal's nightmare, a dragonfly/damsel fly nymph:

Link
I got some good shots of the cave fish but was requested to keep them close to the vest. No plants or fish were taken but I did snatch a couple of snails :biggrin:
Jason

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed..

Nice pictures, thanks.

The Texas hill country is great, we usually go float the Rio every year a little north of Uvalde.

Bill
Thanks
Agreed. So many things to see in the hill country. I really love living here :proud: Hopefully we get some more rain so you can have anice float this year. It's kinda low on the frio.
Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts