The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i did a 50 percent water change in my 12 gallon, its my first water change. I noticed as i was filling these little white things that look like sperm are floating in my tank, one is 1/4 of an inch long and the other one is 3/8th of an inch.

what the heck is that? I made sure it wasnt debris, it was swimming very slowly and moving kinda like a snake. I saw about 4 of them. There are no fish in the tank, only plants. I am assuming they came from my water, but how?

there is no way to take a picture of it, imagine a root about 1/4'' in length swimming. Thats thebest description.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My guess would be planaria worms. Likely they were already in your tank and just got stirred up when you did a water change. I've seen them in my tanks, and despite that they are generally blamed on overfeeding, I also have no fish in my tanks yet, only plants.

EDIT: I shouldn't really say these aren't a cause for alarm, as they can be harmful if they show up in larger numbers and don't end up dying off...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats good, im glad to hear someone else seen them and they were in the tank. I saw like 4 or 5 of them, but honestly now i dont see them any more. Either they are stuck in my filtration system or dissapeared.

if my betta is in the tank he will eat it, lol he will go for anything that wigges even string.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts