The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that one of my cherry barbs (I got 6 a few days ago) has a weird red spot on the side of it, not near the gills or the fins. The 6 cherry barbs are the only fish in the tank and it's a 20 gallon. There are 2 males and 4 females; it's a female who has the red spot. It just looks like discoloration almost, but it definitley wasn't there when I first got her. She's the biggest female by quite a bit actually, and also a bit bigger than both the males. I have no clue what caused it, the only thing I can think of is the fact the males were chasing all the females around the tank trying to mate with them. Maybe one of them nipped her or something? I could really use some help... I can't find anything online about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She died this mourning :(. Here's a few pictures of what it looks like, sorry they're so blurry but my camera just refused to focus. It really is just a discoloration of the scales, there's nothing else that I can see. I'm thinking it might be a bacterial infection of some sort? I want to know what it is incase it comes up with my other fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/disease.html

Go through this page and see if your fish's symptoms match up with anything here.
Nothing mentions any red spots. I've checked lots of websites like that but I can't find anything :icon_conf

hopefully its not aeromonas or vibrio
I can't find much information on those, by any chance do you have a link?

It seems like the red spot only appears on one fish at a time, and only on females, but maybe this is a coincidence? I'm starting to dose Melafix, I don't really think it will do much but it's worth a shot.

:help:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There are so many different kinds of bacteria and parasites. Does anyone know if there are treatments for bacteria and parasites that can be used simultaneously? Maybe that could help?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts