The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon tank with 7 small white cloud mountain minnows, 4 neon tetras, 4 green neon tetras, and an amano shrimp. It's currently planted with African Fern and some Mayaca, but I plan on rescaping it soon (when I can afford plants)
My water parameters are normal, pH 7.3, and I have a tetra whisper 30.

My neons, though the largest fish in the tank, tend to stay on one side of the tank, behind a large piece of petrified wood. This side doesn't have as many plants, though it might be a bit darker. There's a white wall about a foot away, the only thing I can think of is it's creating a reflection. They come out for food, but that's about it. The Minnows stay near the top of the water, and the Green Neon Tetras go between schooling with the neons (75% of the time) and doing their own thing. I think if the neon tetras weren't in the corner, they would be a lot more active. Is this normal for Neon Tetras to do? It's sad having such beautiful fish that have become really healthy in my tank, only to have them stay in a corner.

Also, on stocking: I want to add 8 neon rasboras, and a betta, along with a few more shrimp. Would this overstock my tank too much?
I might rehome the minnows, though they're really pretty. I got them to cycle the tank (I already had previous filter media in my other 5 gallon) and I don't want to stress a Betta out with too many schooling fish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How long have the Neons been in the tank? My five did that when we put them in with our two bettas. But they swim around fine now.

Bump: I'll also say, beware of how large the White Clouds can get. 1.5 inches at max is small per fish, but adding eight rosboras may over crowd the tank. Take it from me, Bettas DO NOT appreciate overcrowding. We had eight Tetras and thee Bettas in a five gallon. Our green one flipped out and bit our white one and killed all but 2 of our original 8 neon tetras. We upgraded to a 10 gallon and all of them do fine now.

I'd say keep in mind the one inch per gallon rule for the fish. another two or three Amanos might not be bad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've been in the tank almost three weeks.

That's a good point about the white clouds. They weren't on my original list of fish I wanted, but the other ones were way too expensive to try and cycle with. I'll try to find a new home for them, I guess. I'd just hate for them to become feeder fish, even if that's what they were sold for in the first place. I feel responsible for them now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They've been in the tank almost three weeks.

That's a good point about the white clouds. They weren't on my original list of fish I wanted, but the other ones were way too expensive to try and cycle with. I'll try to find a new home for them, I guess. I'd just hate for them to become feeder fish, even if that's what they were sold for in the first place. I feel responsible for them now.
What about hiding spots? They might just be uncomfortable if your 20gal has too much open space. My five like to be out in the open, but typically stay towards our leafy plants and mopani wood. I do know they like the water more acidic (6.5 is good).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The African Ferns are really well established, so they like hiding behind them. Still, the other corner that would make for prime viewing has a more planted area. Hopefully this goes away when I rescape it, but I just wanted to ask first. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Add another 3-4 neons... They like bigger schools, same with the green neons. .. and add to stocking, I have roughly 25 assorted tetras and white clouds along with a Germann ram in a 25g tank (same footprint as a 20 tall) and I'm pretty sure I could double my stocking. ..

Not sure about ur rasboras, but if you stock the various regions of the tank, you can have a higher stock rate without the fish feeling crowd. .. that being said. .. The tank can look crowded or overly busy with to many varieties of fish

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd love to get more greens, they're so much fun to watch. The rasboras I'm interested in are about the same size as the green tetras, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad if it's well planted.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Not sure I understood you correctly, but are you cycling the tank with those fish? If so, the neons might not make it.

Is it a 20 long, or just a regular 20? I ask because they like to swim around, and the longer the tank the better. I would stick with what you have....add 6 each of the neons and green neons. Take the white clouds back. You can even mix it up with some glolight tetras and black neons....they will school together.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cycled it with the Minnows, and added the neons when it was completely cycled.

I found a home for the minnows, and I'm going to add more greens once I have the cash. It's a twenty high. Thanks for all your advice, everyone! I really appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.