The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my other tank I've had nematodes, copepods, seed shrimp, and at one point hydra, so I'm not unfamiliar to microorganisms. However I did see something strange today. It was the size of a mini ramshorn snail, too big for my nano fish to eat, and was round. At first I thought it might be a small scud until I got a closer look. It had a bivalve body/shell, similar to seed shrimp, but it was translucent mint green and also had legs... It didn't swim or bob but scrambled along the substrate on these legs. It was hard to tell where they came out of the little creature. The bivalve part made me think of seed shrimp but it's just too big, right? and the legs, scrambling, not swimming thing... I suctioned it out for study and then stupidly dropped the cup. I haven't seen any others (yet) like it in the tank.

Here it is to the left of a mini ramshorn snail. This was the best shot I could get. The white thing in the back is just an exposed root.

I just watched a video that looks a LOT like this guy--can seed shrimp seriously get as big as mini-ramshorns??

·
Registered
171 Posts
"The California Clam Shrimp is yellow to brown. It is flat and about the size of a dime when it is fully grown. The Lentil Clam Shrimp is smaller and more round. It is shaped like a lentil (a small, flat pea)."

A dime??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.