The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot get a picture of this super tiny creature. But ill do my best to describe it. It is small as a pin point, brown, jumps about 2 inches, it stays above water on my amazon frogbit, and has two antennae.

Thanks for any help IDing these bugs.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I believe they call that the "brown pinpoint 2 inch jumper" but I don't know the technical name.

Just kidding to be serious to me this could be anything without a picture it's really hard to know.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds like a springtail, Google "springtail in aquarium" and see if that's what ya have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a springtail, Google "springtail in aquarium" and see if that's what ya have.
Thanks, i don't know why i didn't think of them. I am not positive but they definitely remind me of springtails. Ill have to do more research, hopefully they aren't bad in any way. I have hundreds of them, but a few days ago I had none.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I am not positive but they definitely remind me of springtails.
You may want to try bourletiella.

Ill have to do more research, hopefully they aren't bad in any way. I have hundreds of them, but a few days ago I had none.
If you dip your hand into the water, those critters can get on to your hand and cause a little bit of itch.

Increasing water surface agitation can slow down their growth rate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may want to try bourletiella.

If you dip your hand into the water, those critters can get on to your hand and cause a little bit of itch.

Increasing water surface agitation can slow down their growth rate.
Well I cant increase surface agitation due to the frogbit. But I have read that increasing air flow and lowering the humidity will kill springtails off. So I may just have to remove my glass lid for awhile to air them out.

I honestly can't tell if the named springtail is what i have because I would need a magnifying glass to see it. They are only 1/4 of the size of my tropical springtails I feed to my dart frog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.