1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am setting back up a tank I had before
It has a large weir box at the back LH corner that feeds the sump

The question is would it be best to just remove it and go with an external filter?
I want to do a nice scape with it and not sure if it will take away from the look?

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Once you remove the ugly paper the glass will blend right in with the rest of the glass, especially with water in it. If you take it out and use a standard filter then you will need to add a heater, and a filter onto the tank which will 100% take away from the scape since you'll have a mess of cords and pipes in the tank instead of a mostly invisible glass box.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's what I did with my 75 gallon, after removing the weir i simply capped the through tank fittings with pvc caps, and was ready to go. The tank was formerly a reef tank with a sump. If you hold on to the weir and just cap the fittings, you are able to convert it back if you ever want to. I didn't do it but it also gives you the option of plumbing the input and output of a canister through the bottom of the tank for a clean install. I choose not to do that for ease of mind on a leak or failure draining my tank! One thing I can tell you is the weir is siliconed in there really really well, takes some work to get it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads
I am not to worried about the heater and stuff as I can inline that and keep it quiet clean.

I am more worried that the weir will push the scape forward a lot and being quite a tall tank might make it difficult to create some depth...

Ps. It is a tank I built myself to fit nicely into a corner and was intended for seahorse which is why it is quiet deep

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't think you have a serious issue either way. Yes, if you keep it you'll need to consider it in the aquascape, but it's not that hard to handle. I'd tend to leave it there in case I ever want a sump. On the other hand if you removed it, I wouldn't call that wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts