The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experimented with all sorts of coverage using Frogbit, when I first got it I let the top of the tank cover until it choked enough light out to slow my tank down too far so I have since decided to isolate it in one area above Anubias (which also holds it in place).

It populates like crazy so every week I remove the shoots from the main plant and toss them it is kind of tedious but I have small scissors. This makes the leaves get nice and full some larger than quarters this is more what I am after. A major problem I have is the roots like to collect debris and I am not sure but pieces will die off and turn into an eyesore I can usually pull off with tweezers which is just as tedious as removing the new shoots from the top. The roots got pretty nasty with collected junk so I snipped them and they have begun killing off their largest leaves as they yellow and so I removed them, now this is round two but I am sure they will not die but I will not do that again:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have experimented with all sorts of coverage using Frogbit, when I first got it I let the top of the tank cover until it choked enough light out to slow my tank down too far so I have since decided to isolate it in one area above Anubias (which also holds it in place).

It populates like crazy so every week I remove the shoots from the main plant and toss them it is kind of tedious but I have small scissors. This makes the leaves get nice and full some larger than quarters this is more what I am after. A major problem I have is the roots like to collect debris and I am not sure but pieces will die off and turn into an eyesore I can usually pull off with tweezers which is just as tedious as removing the new shoots from the top. The roots got pretty nasty with collected junk so I snipped them and they have begun killing off their largest leaves as they yellow and so I removed them, now this is round two but I am sure they will not die but I will not do that again:

I like when the roots get long, so I leave mine.

As for the algae that attaches to the roots? I have experienced that but once, and i think frequent h20 changes, and dialed in nutrients, aid in preventing it.

What I wanna know is how do you get such rapid growth? Mine seem to grow slowly. I've reduced my surface agitation and currents as much as possible, I have 7.6 to 7.9 ph, have plenty of light, and I loosely follow the EI method with Glut.

Could being so close to my light be stunting it's growth or burning it out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Could it have a seasonal response to photoperiod or dark period?
I.e. it might think it is in autumn rather than spring. I've grown terrestrial plants under lights, and photo/dark period as well as light spectrum can influence weather they grow vegetative or are flowering for instance. It is a topic I have been thinking about today. Had the mundane job of setting up 4 tanks and moving 200 fish around, one by one. Started catching fry at 4 am and it is 1 am now...Makes one thinks funny things when you are going this long.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My tank is dialed in and balanced, I dont even get nitrate readings but for whatever reason the roots die back and become stringy. Mine grow quickly because my tank is so established, my water is a constant 78F and I dose Excel + Flourish. My lighting is bright as well you need better light, it looks to be centered over your tank and fades quickly. Increase your lighting I promise, also make sure they are in a still area mine never move from their parked position due to the Anubias.

I have Frogbit under both 6,500K and 10,000K lighting there is no difference. This plant does not flower other than propagation, and is chosen for aquarium hobby due to its constant life without any dormancey period. 95% of aquatic plants known in the hobby have beeen chosen for this reason, one acception is the Madagascar Lace but I have not had mine go dormant on me and die back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I say 'dialed in', because I had a similar situation as yours.

I believe mine was due to *not* having nitrates in my water. Meaning, the plants were processing all of the nutrients in the tank and ultimately, starving for more ferts.

I bumped up the amounts of macros and the roots became longer and healthy looking, as opposed to small, brown and furry. Ymmv

·
Registered
101 Posts
Never. But I've also never tried either.

I imagine it would be difficult in a 29 gal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow those roots look different than mine, getting long!

I ended up needing to add nitrates, the Frogbit started growing bleached stunted foliage.
I hate to say I told you so....lol

It was starving for nutrients.

Mine were doing the same thing. Once I transferred them to my no tech fish bowl (no filter, heater, or excel- just a couple drops of micros every other week, and a bunch of mulm in the substrate from previous occupants) they took off like a rocket.

I recently transferred them from the fish bowl to this tank. Let's hope the reduction in flow, and the boost in ferts, will allow them to keep these luscious roots.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine are only spiraled because they are caught in the manzanita branch, and the power head is making them move.

Otherwise they are long and fuzzy. I'll see if I can get a close up.

uploadfromtaptalk1458790762752.jpg

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its nice to let them get caught up in things, it holds them in place naturally without ugly straws and any other sort of ugly contraptions people think of to keep them out of the pump. I use a combination of things to make a natural break line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts