The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to unforeseen circumstances a site I'm an administrator on needs to transfer ownership ASAP from both the owner and his hosting company. He is in agreement with this 100%. No further details.

I'm looking for a very reliable company that can handle 80-120GB of bandwidth per month, 15GB of storage, can run a Java based chat, etc.

It's a large forum with 600k posts (we did have over 2M before the crash), 44k topics, 44k members (roughly 3k active).

Any ideas? I'd like to keep our hosting monthly fee around $20/mo (previous was $45....his own servers....I don't know the rest). Domain transfers aren't an issue (need to transfer 3).

·
Registered
430 Posts
An active forum with 3k members is going to have a hard time running on a shared server, which is what you'll get for $20 a month.

Don't be surprised if you encounter performance issues, or if the host suspends or throttles your site.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mmmm yes, I do see your point. I will try to see how he has it set up right now. Maybe a couple times a day we'll be down for <15 seconds. Other than that, it's up all the time.

We checked the posts per day a little more, seems to average 350-500. Lots of browsers and lookers.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Check the cloud, it's not like a shared server. I've worked with rackspace's dedicated server which is ~$400 - $600/month.

If you don't mind a shared server that goes down once in awhile go for bluehost.com. $5/month. It runs on linux with mysql.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.