The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home depot 2 tube fixture that takes F20T12 tubes. I currently have two 5500K daylight bulbs (highest kelvin rating bulbs that home depot carried).

The light going into my 15G tank is really dim even though theres supposed to be 2.66wpg going into the tank.

I have two questions:

1. is ther eany way I can up the lighting with the fixture now without overdriving or getting another fixture?

2. Are 5500K bulbs sufficient? Where can I find higher Kelvin rated bulbs and how high do they go for F20T12 bulbs? I was hoping to find the 9325s everyone keeps talking about.

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
You are going to have to bump it up to the 6500-10,000 range I would suspect from what I have read about.

I buy my lights at walmart and I can find 6500's there. Ecolux daylight 40 is what they are called. I run 2 of those and 2 plant bulbs but not sure what the K rating is on those though...seems to work really good for me.

*I think the 9325 are made by GE and are called Starcoats. I also think they are PC too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=9508

it says the bulb is 20W and 4200K
check out this site for bulbs.
4200K is not too low from what was stated above?

It's just I don't have anythign to compare growth to currently since all my bulbs in my two planted tanks are 5500K.

I dose EI and run about 35ppm CO2 pressurized in both tanks.

The wattage seems to be enough although the light intensity appears a little low to my eyes. I'm just unsure if upping the Kelvin rating would help or am I just paranoid?

I think the F20T12 also means I can run 20W bulbs only correct?

Also, would Actinic Blue 10,000K bulbs be better than 5500K daylights?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You can only run and most likely only find 20 watt bulbs.

Actinic will do nothing for you.

Poor reflectors are not helping. You might have 2.66 wpg over the tank but less than that is getting into the tank.

Also a lot of those inexpensive fixtures under drive the bulbs. If you still have or can obtain a standard 15 gallon strip light why not get an AH Supply 36 or 55 watt kit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts