The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks to those who helped me out in my "Birth Complications" post a few weeks ago. Your reassurance (and food/water advice) really made me feel better! That shrimp actually did wind up dropping her eggs, but it's okay because I currently have FIVE berried females, all healthy and chock full of eggs. Except one because...

She's hatching them! I've actually been able to watch it for the last 45 minutes or so. It is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen in the animal world.

The babies are immediately curious, "flying around", eating, everything. It's just amazing.

Unfortunately they're too small for my camera to focus on them, so I don't really have a picture. But I am going to try to catch a video of at least one hatching!

SQUEEEE!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Congrats!

Just make sure to keep stress levels on the shrimp to a minimum, as overstressing the berried shrimp can cause them to drop the eggs. However you can artificially hatch dropped eggs pretty easily.

Artificially Hatching Eggs .:. Information on artificially hatching Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Eggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV_gZK3un0A
Lot more info out there.

Another member on here recently just did artificially hatch some shrimp eggs in the same manner as in the video above (use filter flow to "fan" the eggs like the mother shrimp would do)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats!

Just make sure to keep stress levels on the shrimp to a minimum, as overstressing the berried shrimp can cause them to drop the eggs. However you can artificially hatch dropped eggs pretty easily.

Artificially Hatching Eggs .:. Information on artificially hatching Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Eggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV_gZK3un0A
Lot more info out there.

Another member on here recently just did artificially hatch some shrimp eggs in the same manner as in the video above (use filter flow to "fan" the eggs like the mother shrimp would do)
I just artificially hatched eggs this week! It can be done and I am a beginner. I think my post is titled "IT WORKED...Artificial Hatching". I was and am so excited about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just artificially hatched eggs this week! It can be done and I am a beginner. I think my post is titled "IT WORKED...Artificial Hatching". I was and am so excited about it.
I saw that! I had been reading the how-to article a couple of weeks ago when I thought my girl was dying (she was just fanning her eggs, turns out). While the instructions seem to not be very difficult, I am still very impressed (and inspired!) to see someone else succeed at this!

I have a feeling I would turn uber-clumsy at the exact wrong moment and ruin it all!

Meanwhile, it just occurred to me that we need to get a bigger tank very soon... if five pregnant shrimp all give birth in the next five days we will have 100-ish baby shrimp in my little tank!

... I should have considered this BEFORE they were born...

Bump: Is there a general average # of shrimp babies?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shrimplet survival rate isnt too high, but since shrimps breed repeatedly, the population will grow. This can be controlled by selling the shrimps!
Its 3 way benefit, since more aquarium space, more money, and happy shrimps(both rehomed and at your original tank)!
Plus to my experience, average amount would be 20 eggs more or less more depending on size of the female.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Meanwhile, it just occurred to me that we need to get a bigger tank very soon... if five pregnant shrimp all give birth in the next five days we will have 100-ish baby shrimp in my little tank!

... I should have considered this BEFORE they were born...
Don't sweat it too much. Dwarf shrimp don't have much of a bioload at all. The lower end of the shrimp per gallon standard is 10 shrimp per gallon. But 20-30 shrimp per gallon is very doable. Quite a lot of people actually have had 400+ shrimp in a 10 gallon tank (40+ per gallon). I don't know your tank size, but you get the general idea. Of course a larger footprint is better than vertical height, gallon to gallon-wise (unless you got a ton of suspended moss or plants they can climb on).

And a well established tank is better than a new tank (I'm not talking only about a seeded/cycled filter, but actually having the microfauna and algae growth in a matured tank).

You can get started on setting up another tank now though if you wanted. It's always nice to not have all your eggs (no pun intended :)) all in one basket/tank. Plus you can cull off (doesn't have to mean killing, you can just separate) less intensely colored shrimp to keep your strain of shrimp at a higher grade vibrant color.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to hijack,
This is my first shrimp tank, and my RCS also hatched couple days ago. The babies look fine, but in the same tank I've lost 6 out of 12 adults. One just died tonight, so I am a little worry :(

I checked the water parameters, and they all look OK and stabile (haven't changed much). Any suggestion?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
@Panw might be more helpful to post a separate thread with a title that would bring the desired help.

Do you know your pH, GH, KH?

What's your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? I know you say OK and stable water parameters, but we never really know what people may mean by that.

How often do you do water changes and what % of water is changed at a time?

How long have you had the shrimp?

Any symptoms the shrimp show? Milky white body, holes in shell, not molting properly, inactive, green moss-like growth under body, etc

Probably better to post reply/answers/info on a new thread.
A picture of the shrimp (up close) might be of some help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't sweat it too much. Dwarf shrimp don't have much of a bioload at all. The lower end of the shrimp per gallon standard is 10 shrimp per gallon. But 20-30 shrimp per gallon is very doable. Quite a lot of people actually have had 400+ shrimp in a 10 gallon tank (40+ per gallon). I don't know your tank size, but you get the general idea. Of course a larger footprint is better than vertical height, gallon to gallon-wise (unless you got a ton of suspended moss or plants they can climb on).

And a well established tank is better than a new tank (I'm not talking only about a seeded/cycled filter, but actually having the microfauna and algae growth in a matured tank).

You can get started on setting up another tank now though if you wanted. It's always nice to not have all your eggs (no pun intended :)) all in one basket/tank. Plus you can cull off (doesn't have to mean killing, you can just separate) less intensely colored shrimp to keep your strain of shrimp at a higher grade vibrant color.

Okay, keep in mind that *I'm* new to this but my husband has a LOT of experience with planted tanks (I should post photos; it's cool). While I'm not sure whether he uses RO for water changes, I DO know that it took him several hours (or so it seemed) to do a water change in my little tank yesterday. LOL. He has a meticulous process. He prepped this tank for about 5 weeks before he allowed me to put shrimp in it.

SO! I *believe* that we won't transfer them to a new home for at least another month even if he came home with a new tank today lol.

I currently have a 2.5 gallon tank, with about 15 (adult) shrimp, so it's within the parameters you described. But you also just gave me a heads up that I SHOULD get a larger one just because eventually, these guys are going to grow up!

Meanwhile, yesterday we "harvested" five of the adults (taking it from 20 to 15) to put in his tank. We got all the less-awesomely colored ones out. I'm so excited.

And my babies are SO CUTE!

Bump: Oh and one more thing: I think I'm about to get to watch some hatching. Squee!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's this "Squee" from? Never heard that before haha
Say it out loud. Use an exclamation point when you say it... it sounds like a sorority girl freaking out about new shoes right? LOL

So it's uh... satirical excitement. As in, I'm actually THAT excited, unlike the people who actually make the sound "SQUEE!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts