The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, just a menagerie of glass jars. All over our house! I was thinking I could turn a few into planted nano jars.

Id say the largest jar is maybe 1.5 gallons. They get smaller from there.

Any ideas?

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Plants, only, or fish as well? What suggestions are you seeking? Some of those look fine for plants with some fish or other wildlife added. Some only work for really smaller animals, etc.
My thoughts would run along the line of finding something to raise with plants but living fish food, perhaps.
How do you see it running?

Half filled jar with plants growing up and out with a small frog or two?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking maybe the largest one with plants and animals. And maybe a smaller one with just plants.

Ideally I'd like to have something I can play with chemically. I do have a larger tank but it is balanced I don't wish to mess with anything (ferts, dosing, whatever else).

I also would like something to put in the kitchen window :)

I don't know, I've never had anything small like this but I'd like to dive right in.

The ones with corks could possibly be hooked to a small CO2 setup but I'm not for sure. Would have to be plant only I'm sure.

I like to experiment :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would say this is a give it a go and see what happens type thing. Get the substrate in the add some plants and whack a lamp over the top and let it do its thing. Perhaps dirted substrate and minimal ferts (no CO2 unless excel). Could be a nice little shrimp jar at the very least? Or snails?

Give it a go and see what happens, experimenting with things like this is a lot of fun anyway!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may do that tomorrow! Maybe a capped potting mix. See how that goes, I might go for a layered look, rocks at the bottom that I can use to weight down plants, potting mix, and a fine, inert sand on the top. I don't believe I'll need any root tabs, but I can definitely liquid fert after a while. Maybe add some shrimp after a while.

I want to experiment not only chemically but also see if I can make it pleasing to the eye.

Might buy a small clip on LED. We will see tomorrow!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What types of plants can I grow in, say, that large jar?

Id like some exotic looking ones. Reds, yellows, greens. I want something dynamic, but I don't know much about plants.

I wouldn't mind buying some off here too, might even add some to my current 15G.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have plenty to do a Moss jar! Although I realized that the largest jar has an opening that's smaller than my hand. I wonder if I could cut off the top using the string/fire/ice water method they use for eine bottles. I'm not sure if the jar would explode though. It's quite old.

It's either that of I find tweezers long enough to plant with and a funnel and tube I can use to place the soil and sand. Hmmmm this is quite the dilemma.
For the Moss I could use black sand and some nice little rocks of varying height, and the yogurt method to attach the Moss.

I think these living jars will be great for decor around the house!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Coooooookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Why are there no Cooooooooooooooooookies?
Fill the jars with Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookies.

No fish were harmed in the making of this post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coooooookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Why are there no Cooooooooooooooooookies?
Fill the jars with Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookies.

No fish were harmed in the making of this post.
Lmao!!

No cookies when I'm dieting! (though I have plenty of other jars for cookies....)

·
Registered
286 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wonder if I could cut off the top using the string/fire/ice water method
That might/likely work, though I've never tried it.

I have a tile saw, and it leaves a clean, (not sharp) edge. If you know someone with a tile saw, even a cheap one, you can cut glass just by hand roll the jar around the blade, letting it cut incrementally. Be prepared to get wet though, those things really throw the water.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That might/likely work, though I've never tried it.

I have a tile saw, and it leaves a clean, (not sharp) edge. If you know someone with a tile saw, even a cheap one, you can cut glass just by hand roll the jar around the blade, letting it cut incrementally. Be prepared to get wet though, those things really throw the water.
Hmm I don't know anyone with one of those. I really like the look of the jar, I don't want to destroy the top. So first I will try to find a way to get everything in there without cutting.

Maybe this weekend.

Actually I'm also getting a 55G standard tank from my boss with 2 filters and lots of goodies for only $200 bucks. One of those filters alone costs $150, so I'm pretty stoked.

I'm gonna be swamped in projects lol

Bump:
Your tank looks beautiful! :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I really love all of the cool, mini-aquarium planted jars I see on this forum and others. I'm lazy, though, so I just chuck my extra plants in a few big, bare bottom jars and set them in a sunny spot to live/reproduce for future use in my tanks. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Thinking of ways to get it in through the narrow top reminded me of a few tricks to share.
For getting the sand, dirt, etc. spread I like to cut the bottom out of soda bottles to transport things and then release where you can't get hands. A strip of cloth looped over the top opening can help hold stuff in and then be slid out to release it. You may still have to use a long tool to spread it but it is quicker/easier if it is dropped near the right spot.
If you get into adding hard stuff like wood, think small that will fit the opening but can be doubles to make it look big.
If you get to a spot where you want an airstone, think about drilling a hole for the airline down through wood and then bring it out for the airstone at the bottom. I find it hides much better if it is not running up and over the top and all the way to the bottom.
I like Goodwill, etc. for value shopping on lights. Lots of desk lamps out there that can have CFL bulbs added for a couple dollars. I like the swingarm or gooseneck lamps for ease of mounting where I can still move them out of the way to work.

Looks like a number of fun projects to think about.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah yes i was thinking i would drill a hole in it somewhere for a possible airline but not sure i need a bubbler with enough plants added. However, the idea of a fish bowl filter will need some customization work to the jar as the opening is much too small. I may actually have to cut a hole in the top portion to fit the filer in it.

I will soon figure these small speed bumps out. And as far as lighting I'd like to get something small and sleek if possible.

I was also considering some really long medical tweezers for plants, or maybe swing by a botanical store or a place that would supply thse things. See if I can find something to work.

Id like to try to keep as much of the integrity of the jar as possible, I love the shape and it would be a shame to have to cut the entire top off.

These projects will be fun. I'll do 2 side by side, one with Moss and another with other varieties of plants and maybe, if there's enough room, some shrimp

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I've gotten most everything I need now.

I just need the drill bit to drill into the glass where the airline will be attached. I got aquarium grade silicone to seal that spot.

So far I've spent about $150...but I also bought some liquid ferts for my 15G lol.

Project soon to lift off... As soon as i get a diamond drill bit

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I'm no glass driller for sure but just guessing I would suggest trying the drill on some less loved glass at first. Likely to be a bit of "feel" to work out before going for the good stuff?

Added thought on tools. Rather than go for long tweezers, have you considered making them. Home Depot, etc. stock items called lattice or screen bead which is a strip of wood that comes in various widths and can be had for pretty cheap. Cut it to the length you want and glue it to wooden clothes pins. The spring kind? That can make a Tweezer to fit what you want rather than what is made. Instead of squeezing the clothes pin to open it, you turn it around and squeeze to close the long strips. A little tinkering and you can make a wooden shape at the end to hold what is needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.