The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20G Low-Tech, 10G Iwagumi, 7G Betta Biotope, 4G Snail/Daphnia Tank
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about starting a patio pond (20+ gallons) with plants and a small school of WCMM (though I'm open to suggestions). In the summer, my area has lows/highs of about 68F/88F. I want to know whether 88F during the day will be too hot for the minnows. I would bring the pond indoors during the winter months (26F/46F in the coldest months), so I'm less concerned about the lows. I know that the water temperature will be lower than the ambient, but I'm not sure by how much.

Does anyone have experience with patio ponds in VA or a similar climate?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am thinking about starting a patio pond (20+ gallons) with plants and a small school of WCMM (though I'm open to suggestions). In the summer, my area has lows/highs of about 68F/88F. I want to know whether 88F during the day will be too hot for the minnows. I would bring the pond indoors during the winter months (26F/46F in the coldest months), so I'm less concerned about the lows. I know that the water temperature will be lower than the ambient, but I'm not sure by how much.

Does anyone have experience with patio ponds in VA or a similar climate?

Thanks,
Peter
I'm in Maryland with a patio pond for ricefish. I know someone on the board has a pond for white clouds in north Carolina. I think you will be fine. Just make sure there is a fountain or waterfall to help cool the water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Maryland with a patio pond for ricefish. I know someone on the board has a pond for white clouds in north Carolina. I think you will be fine. Just make sure there is a fountain or waterfall to help cool the water.
Great. I'm in NoVA, which I assume is similar enough. Do you bring your pond in during the winter? That's the thing I'm not entirely sure how to manage.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Great. I'm in NoVA, which I assume is similar enough. Do you bring your pond in during the winter? That's the thing I'm not entirely sure how to manage.
This is my first year doing a patio pond. I plan to move in some / all fish but leave the pond outside. I plan to let it run during the winter with maybe some fish in it to see how they do. I don't think it's going to get cold enough for it to freeze solid all the way through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first year doing a patio pond. I plan to move in some / all fish but leave the pond outside. I plan to let it run during the winter with maybe some fish in it to see how they do. I don't think it's going to get cold enough for it to freeze solid all the way through.
I was thinking that a good heater and water flow could let me keep it outside a tad longer. I don't think any fish would survive the annual swing of 60F.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I was thinking that a good heater and water flow could let me keep it outside a tad longer. I don't think any fish would survive the annual swing of 60F.
Depends on the fish, there are some videos over on aquarium co-op channel of them keeping cherry shrimp outdoors year round and breaking the ice on the surface so they could get betty oxygenation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well think about where wcmm live, if you could give them a high flow (with a powerhead) and it made lots of surface agitation, I’d doubt the temperature would be too high or low. They live in mountain streams in China (very similar to USA climate) and usually have to face winter. Just add a heater over the winter if it gets really cold.

My friend from the PNW has kept gymnogeophageus (subtropical chiclid) and I believe corydoryas overwinter in a pond

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend from the PNW has kept gymnogeophageus (subtropical chiclid) and I believe corydoryas overwinter in a pond
A small patio pond is much, much different than mountain streams or a man-made in-ground pond. I wouldn't suggest treating them as the same.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A small patio pond is much, much different than mountain streams or a man-made in-ground pond. I wouldn't suggest treating them as the same.
The enviroment for the fish is the same, you should always mimic the natural habitat of a fish as closely as possible, give a stream fish blasting flow and give a stagnant pool fish no flow. It’s very possible to mimic all the natural processes happening in rivers and lakes and creeks inside of a aquarium, it may be harder but i have done it along with people like father fish and Diana walstad

You wouldn’t put a hillstream loach with a betta just because you like the fish right? You would decide on which fish and make the ideal habitat for the fish without comprimise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The enviroment for the fish is the same, you should always mimic the natural habitat of a fish as closely as possible, give a stream fish blasting flow and give a stagnant pool fish no flow. It’s very possible to mimic all the natural processes happening in rivers and lakes and creeks inside of a aquarium, it may be harder but i have done it along with people like father fish and Diana walstad
You miss my point. A patio pond doesn't have the insulation that an in-ground pond has, nor the thermodynamics of a natural stream. Good luck mimicking that exactly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You miss my point. A patio pond doesn't have the insulation that an in-ground pond has, nor the thermodynamics of a natural stream. Good luck mimicking that exactly.
I know that, but if you can get temperature readings and stuff then just use like a heater and temp probe or something I’d say it’s mabye possible

I know some saltwater people put their tanks in refrigerators so they can keep fish like sculpins Catalina gobies and lumpsuckers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.