The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently thinking of ways to speed up water changes on my 120. I will use a large trash can to hold mixed water - I use remineralized RO. I prefer manual siphoning, but figure a utility pump and hose could help with hands-off refills. What would be a good, affordable pump model to use?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought a pond pump from Wal-Mart. I have bought used tanks and pumps have been included. The current one I'm using is rated at over 1000 gallon hour. But I have a 4 foot head and three elbows. I would guess somewhere around 700 gallon. I have used power head with a hose push on before to. Are you going to age your water in your trash can I would recommend an air stone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a 1200 gph powerhead. I fill garbage can with 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap water use power head to circulate water in can for a day or 2 with a heater and when ready connect powerhead to 1/2 inch vinyl hose

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Any old China pump will probably work just fine. I'd go for a 1000+GPH off brand pump. I'm pretty sure some of the 740gph pumps I gave away were going to be used to move water. I use a 400 gph pump on my 55g and it pushes water out pretty quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts