The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well shrimp are sensitive to nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, heavy metals, medications, and especially copper, which goes in heavy metals but copper is mentioned a lot because it is common in fish products. I believe your shrimp will be fine from the tannins from the wood, and will actually benefit from the lower ph that the wood may have caused. For water changes, just look closely at the end of the hose and you shouldn't suck in any shrimp. If its LOTS of shrimp, then put a mesh over the opening. The search funtion will also help more.

·
Registered
695 Posts
you use water conditioner right ?? One more question do you adjust the temperature of the water before putting the hose in the tank ? The wood will keep releasing tannins so if you want it to go away sooner then boil the wood in a pot or if you don't have one that size put it in the tub and pour boiling water on it . i think those 2 methods should work well :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Questions are some Water conditioners better for shrimp then others. Right now I am using Stress Coat by API. I just recently got shrimp. I want to kae sure that It wont harms them.

MAHA

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Some people have reported problems with Stress Coat, so they later switch to Prime.

Stress Coat and most other dechlorinators bind to chlorine so they remove chlorine/chloramine in the water. Unfortuantely, the byproduct of removing chlorine from chloramine is ammonia (ammonia + chlorine = chloramine). Prime also binds with chlorine AND also binds with ammonia.

I used to use Stress Coat in my shrimp tanks. I haven't had any problems, but switched to Prime anyways. Recently, I have seen my female RCS very bright red, almost glowing. I have also had allot of baby shrimp now. I'm not sure if it's related to the changing to Prime or my recent use of FBW feeding. In either case, I will continue my recent methods, so I seem to get nicer looking shrimps and babies.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got the shrimps for 150 each cherry abd amano i found that place from another post in this forum about shrimps in NYC win tropical aquaruin i think im gonna get more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.