The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pretty cool but they never mention the need for filtration nor the need to transplant the fish into a larger tank as they get bigger. I'd be a little nervous about kids with no experience being handed that and then wondering in 2-3 months why their fish died off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I used to breed the kind of fish that they seem to include in that kit in a 2.5 and 5 gallon tank many years ago. They're in the Nothobranchus family and the males are very beautiful while the females are very plain. The thing about them is this...they are called annuals. That's because they live only one year in the wild (and just slightly more than that in an aquarium. They lay their eggs in very small puddles during the rainy season (in Africa, though there are some species in S. America, too) and then in the dry season the fish die because the puddles dry. But their eggs remain viable because they settle into the mud and then when the next rainy season starts the following year, they hatch right there in the same puddle where they remained. They can live in a very small container but twelve? I doubt that most of the people that keep these will attend to water quality feeding issues in a way that would make this work well. Putting the eggs into a larger container...a small aquarium, for example...with filtration of some kind, using sponges....is vastly preferable to what this kit alone offers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can keep a couple in that small container. I ordered some eggs online and hatched them. Of the 50 eggs, I hatched maybe 10 of them. I need to dry the peat out and retry it. But sadly, the 10 babies didnt make it past a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Pretty cool but they never mention the need for filtration nor the need to transplant the fish into a larger tank as they get bigger.
Actually, if you read the whole page it does at the bottom.

It's a neat idea, these killies will probably live about as long as most people's circus goldfish.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, they couldn't be sold for a high price without knowing exactly what kind they are, and being able to guarantee them not a hybrid, which I would bet they are, in a kit meant for kids; or at least a more common, cheap variety. And I don't see many little kids being able to care for the fry properly if this is their first fish experience.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hahaha..."The evil electric eel trapped us in the dust"....That's an interesting one. I never knew the life cycle of killies was so dangerous! Those mean electric eels...

Wait, it says you can put them in tap water? With no mention of dechlorinating? Those ARE magic fish lol...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it yesterday, and it seems pretty interesting. They do want you to let the tap water sit for 6 hours before adding the "mud" that has the eggs. It also mentions that you should do water changes after the first week, and that you will eventually have to move them to a larger tank. So all in all its not totally negigent. I've just been skeptical about killifish eggs, so this was a cool way to watch them hatch and feed them, and then add them to my planted tank.

An all in one hatchery for $14. I figure as they are annuals, I can try to get them to breed as well after about a year in my tank. Nothing like another project.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ahh, ok. So the instructions are a little better than the description on the website. Sounds neat, you'll have to keep us updated on it. I've been interested in getting some killie eggs in the future, but am afraid to invest money in something and it won't hatch...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you're looking for killifish eggs, you can get a lot more for your money on aquabid. Of course it won't come with the cutesy little setup, but an empty small tank will do just fine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did it last night and they hatched!!! I didn't get a chance to count, but I would guess at least 8. Now to get them fed. I took a bunch of pics last night, will post them when I get the chance.

I pretty much bought this as a cheap test, but I am interested in buying more eggs from aquabid or possible even Ebay. lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts